Shrimplosion incoming.

• Thread starter aquachris
  • Start date

aquachris

I’m going to have a shrimp explosion coming soon. Just saw berried girl #4! I have only a few more females left that aren’t lol.

Archangel8

aquachris said:
I’m going to have a shrimp explosion coming soon. Just saw berried girl #4! I have only a few more females left that aren’t lol.
Whoo whoo are you going to sale?

aquachris

Courtney carlisle said:
Whoo whoo are you going to sale?
Maybe sometime. Right now I have some males that probably should be culled but I don’t have the population yet. Maybe once I get a few generations going.

barbiespoodle

Don't you just love it? Just remember you might not even notice the explosion at first, the babies tend to hide. Then one day you'll look in the tank and see shrimp, shrimp, everywhere and not a one to eat :D

Congrats on your mama's to be. And yes, you will be sitting on pins and needles as you wait for the babies to hatch.

aquachris

barbiespoodle said:
Don't you just love it? Just remember you might not even notice the explosion at first, the babies tend to hide. Then one day you'll look in the tank and see shrimp, shrimp, everywhere and not a one to eat :D

Congrats on your mama's to be. And yes, you will be sitting on pins and needles as you wait for the babies to hatch.
I am... I can't wait. I think one is starting to hit about the third week - so any time now... then they will start going.

barbiespoodle

And when you say start going, you have no idea how much they will start going.

I started a spare 10 gallon and added 11 blue shrimp. About 3 months later, I happened on a 20 gallon, stand and hood at goodwill for a whopping $28.00 and decided to set it up for the blues.

Once the new tank was ready, about a month later, I deemed it ready to move the blues to it. When I started netting the shrimp, I must have netted close to if not over 100, took me 2 hours.

Even then I still left a couple inches of water in the old tank while I moved the new tank into it's spot and stared drip acclimating the shrimp. While I was doing that, I personally found another 10 to 15 tiny babies in the old tank. In the following week, my hubby then managed to find at least another 30 tiny babies. And now that 20 gallon is full of beautiful blue shrimp and I'm always seeing new berried females.

Even so, it's nothing compared to the red tank that has been going longer, that tank is a red shrimp metropolis, but it will get there.

This is the tank, set up for about 3 weeks now. The first pic more shows the general outline of the tank, how I decorated it, the second pic shows a small part with the blues just to give an idea of how many blues there are. In short this is what you have to look forward to and I hope you find it as wonderful as I do, I really do love my 'silly little red/blue things" :)

Attachments

aquachris

EXCITING DAY!!!! I saw a couple babies! they are so tiny. I can barely get pics of my shrimp as is, not even going to try unless one comes to the front of the tank. Oh they are so cute and tiny!!!! I yelled out "I GOT SHRIMP BABIES" I think my family thinks I have finally lost it.

aquachris

sorry its blurry.. I really need to learn to take good pictures of things that are tiny.
1601132660301.png
1601132725005.png

aquachris

I can't believe how giddy I am about this LOL!

Fishcat

Well Known
I just got yellow/orange babies! It’s the best.

barbiespoodle

I am just about rolling on the floor laughing at you being giddy.

But that's because that is exactly how I get when seeing new babies, well maybe in my case it's a matter of being more silly than giddy, us old foggies are allowed to be silly ;) .

It just never seems to get old no matter how long I've been doing this or how many shrimp I actually have in a tank. Even in my red tank that has been going close to a year now and has hundreds of shrimp, I still sit in front of it and say "there's a baby, there's a baby, there's a baby".

And starting a new colony get even more of a giddy/silly response. I recently started a cull tank and since I started it with babies from the other two tanks I still have a wait. But I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see the first berried female and then being able to get all giddy/silly when I see the first baby.

Sorry, got to show off. I took these pics of the red tank in three different spots just a few minutes ago. This tank started with just 15 shrimp from two sources and this shows them in a feeding frenzy. And this is the tank I still get giddy when I see new babies, as I said, it just never seems to get old. Tank prams, 20 gallon, eco complete substrate, heavily planted, emersed houseplant roots, sponge filters. RCS's 3 otto cats, 1 deformed guppy named Egor.

Attachments

aquachris

Yeah it is too exciting! I just love it. Even when guppies have babies it gets me a little happy.. I don't know why.. shrug.

Very cool setup, I cant wait until my little colony takes off.

Fishcat

Well Known
Wish I had room for twenty gallon tanks for every shrimp I want. Making do with five to six gallons at the moment, and I’m not sure I have room for all of them. One currently in operation, one getting ready, and several more in my dreams.

aquachris

So starting to see more and more babies!! Man I thought the adults were hard to get pics of!! I did just toss in some shrimp baby food so its a bit sprinkled ;)

This one was visiting on the front glass, I thanked it!
1601513705857.png
1601513728761.png
this ones hangin in there!
1601513770473.png
I have many more, but these were the only pics that weren't total blurs lol

barbiespoodle

Just don't get like a silly old lady like me. I have tons of pics of my shrimp on my phone and not a single one of my hubby. Don't know what that says about me :rolleyes:

But please get to be like me and never lose that excitement of seeing the babies. I was getting all mushy about finding new babies in the blue tank and that tank must have close to, if not over, a 100 shrimp in it. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for babies of any sort. Strike that, I do draw the line at fleas and ticks, don't want any of their babies, lol.

aquachris

barbiespoodle said:
Just don't get like a silly old lady like me. I have tons of pics of my shrimp on my phone and not a single one of my hubby. Don't know what that says about me :rolleyes:

But please get to be like me and never lose that excitement of seeing the babies. I was getting all mushy about finding new babies in the blue tank and that tank must have close to, if not over, a 100 shrimp in it. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for babies of any sort. Strike that, I do draw the line at fleas and ticks, don't want any of their babies, lol.
HAHA.. I have more photos of my fish stuff than anything.. its kinda ridiculous.

But its been fun watching babies.. I keep seeing more and more I guess as they get bigger and bigger and more adventurous. Its been so much fun.

barbiespoodle

Ah yes, you have the bug! Now you just have to get to be a crazy old lady like me and start to refer to them, in my case, as the silly little red things or the silly little blue things, lol.

And yes I do have tons of pics of my fish and shrimp but pics of my gardens and dogs might be close in numbers, still none of my hubby, lol.

aquachris

I counted 7 or 8 babies hanging out on the anubias here... I couldn't get them all because others were on different leaves you cant see... But I see 6 in this little shot
1601940206296.png

barbiespoodle

Got to love it. I really do love the babies. And believe it or not, even though my tanks have a ton of shrimp, I can still pick out a few favorites.

At least I haven't got silly enough to start naming some of the ones I notice more than the others :rolleyes: Some of my fish, yes, but not the shrimp. Ok, well not most, but it's more of a reference, no really, it's more of a reference;)

aquachris

Shrimplosion has completed as of now. I have no more berried females. Unfortunately I did lose one due to a molt problem.

1602457376052.png

Top Bottom