Shrimplets problem

1. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay so if you have seen before I am having problem with keeping the RCS alive. The death has gone down a lot. Here's the problem. My shrimplets are dying pink. I don't know what to do :(. Junne TexasDomer

2. Skyy2112 Member Member

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In your last thread, you never actually measured the water parameters of the shrimp tank for us, only the tank above it (which could be very different). I'd start with the complete water parameters of the shrimp tank (pH, GH, KH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates).

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Oops k

The bottom tank(RCS tank), nitrate is 20, nitrite is 0, GH is either hard or soft(hard to tell), KH is 120, and pH is 7.2. The top tank(community tank), nitrates are 20, nitrites are 0, GH is soft or hard, KH is 120, and pH is 7.2

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No ammonia? I guess you're using the strips, which are inaccurate (as you can see by your GH reading). You should invest in the liquid kit.

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a liquid kit. Also i forgot to tell you ammonia, 0. Test strips here also have ammonia strips.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How can you not tell GH then?

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Because it's a brown color. I don't have a GH or KH test on my master test kit which is weird. So I use the strips for that.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The master kit doesn't have a GH or KH test. It's a separate test kit (under $5 on Amazon).

Also weird request:
    Can you take a pic of the tank's tests and then a pic of the tests for the tap too, so we can compare? Just to cover our bases to make sure we're not missing something.

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okie

11. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Is the tank still at 80 like your profile says? If so, you may want to try lowering it a few degrees as well. Mine are much happier and more active when it's a little cooler.

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh oops forgot to change my info. My temp is at 76 now :)

13. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

You may have answered this in another thread, but what are you feeding them? Also, do you have cuttlebone in the tank or something for extra calcium?

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Any luck with those pics of water parameters?

15. Skyy2112 Member Member

My tank is currently above 80*. Unfortionately we cant get it lower. Super hot and apartment inspection coming up. Tried frozen water bottles, icecubes, ice packs,...

But shrimp still doin alright. Its atleast stable. Waiting for temp to go down, gonna start putting AC unit in the window every night, but its not enough for daily... AC unit isnt allowed in our units, so is AC at night only better than none at all? It would create an 'unstable' temp cycle.

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I am getting them in on Tuesday:).

17. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I did. I am feeding them algae pellets, zucchini, and fish food. I have Indian almond leaves. No cuttlebone. Where do I get it and how can I make it shrimp safe.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You're getting a test kit in on Tuesday? I thought you already had a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Even those would be helpful now, and the GH/KH can wait until Tuesday.

19. Kwig Well Known Member Member

You get it in the bird section of a pet store and just break a piece off and pop it in the tank. It's just calcium carbonate.

20. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

A slight cooling at night would actually be more natural.