Shrimplet In A Mason Jar!

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I'm still working on restarting my cherry shrimp colony after a massive die off, and I somehow managed to purchase ten female shrimp and zero males. Last night I went to the LFS in search of males and ended up buying the only five shrimp they had - three females and two males - except that one of the males is TINY. I thought he might be fine since their tank is a literal jungle, but while they were acclimating in my dip and pour the gouramis were constantly running into the side and bottom of it trying to eat him. They're pretty good with the adult cherries as they're about the same size, but they will nip shrimp that get in their way sometimes and send them shooting across the tank, and I'm pretty sure given the chance, they'd hunt this little one down and make a snack of him in short order.

If I bring another tank down from upstairs and set it up it could be the end of my relationship (lol) so I had to find something else to keep him in temporarily. I set up a wide mouth quart mason jar with a clump of java moss on the bottom held down by a couple rocks, a small java fern, a moss ball, a few small water sprites and a layer of duckweed on the surface and put him in it. Here's a photo for reference:

IMG_2132.JPG

You can see him on the roots of the java fern for size reference so now what I'm wondering is, first off - the plants will provide enough oxygen for him, right? I thought of running a small airstone into the jar but I'm not sure it's necessary, and I'd like to avoid it if possible. I will of course be doing 25-50% water changes daily. I'm also wondering how much he can find to eat off the plants - obviously I need him to grow as quickly as possible so he can go in the tank, but I worry about fouling the water with uneaten food so I don't want to be putting all sorts of pellets and wafers and what not in there. I feed my other shrimp bits of hikari algae wafers and shrimp pellets, and they also eat fallen bits of the crushed betta pellets and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp that the gouramis get. I've never fed just one shrimplet before - what would be a sufficient diet and feeding schedule for him? If I put a tiny crumb of algae wafer in there will he even find it? I have to go buy a new turkey baster, I don't have a way to remove it at the moment if he doesn't eat it.

I have also been considering whether I should attempt to float the jar in my bigger tank to keep it warm. I also keep parrots so my house doesn't get cold at night, and I kept a gallon Walstad bowl of cherries for over a year without issues, so I know he doesn't really need to be heated but I assume, as is the case with other fish, that a warmer environment will help him grow faster. I don't want him to have to live in this jar forever, but I'm afraid if I leave it just floating around in the tank it will end up bumping against the sides - it's quite heavy and I do think it could crack the tank. I can't think of any other way to heat it though, other than in a 5g bucket where I won't be able to see it, and if I were going to hook up a heater to a huge bucket I may as well just hook it up to a tank and add a filter (and get my head chewed off). Any ideas? Will he still grow at a decent rate at 70 degrees or so if he's well fed?

Any thoughts on any of this, or just your general experiences keeping shrimp in tiny containers will be appreciated

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have managed to unintentionally keep shrimp in unheated, unfiltered containers with just plants and no additional food without any problem for months, but it did seem that the growth was slower. i.e. move some plants from a tank to a jar for temp storage only to find shrimp swimming around a few months later when I went to add the plants back to a tank.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very interesting concept. Please keep us posted on your progress.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hope someday these shrimp finally decide to give me some babies, preferably enough that I can accidentally move them places with plants.

The little guy has been upside down grazing on the duckweed roots pretty much since I put him in the jar! I've been taking off the lid in the morning and giving the jar light from the end of the strip light on my tank, and closing it up when the lights go off to keep my birds from getting curious. They love to eat duckweed, and a tasty shrimplet with it would be a welcome snack for them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom