Shrimp ??

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, we are in the planning stages of an aquarium. Our tank has to cycle first before we start adding to it and we are dreaming and debating what we want..lol.

We stumbled on to looking at invertebrates while trying to find pics of stuff online... we are rural and there is not a fish store nearby. Anyway we found several crabs , including the blue crayfish we liked the look of a lot but feel it's not going to happen because I just see stuff being injured or killed with those claws. You know you have the dream list then the realistic list...

We also saw some bright colorful shrimp that would thought might be a nice substitute but my fear is aren't they going to end up being food to some fish along the way? Isn't anything dwelling on the bottom going to look at them as a treat....

This is where I point out that the only fish we have decided on is one small rainbow shark . We plan to plant for cover and we have started a rock ledge and some small cave areas but we need someone with experience to give us the yes that might work or the are you insane answer...lol

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it fits in something elses mouth it'll likely get eaten. I keep cherry and red claw macro shrimp in a community tank without issue, but they are with small , mostly peaceful fish.

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wish I could walk into a fish store and see the shrimp to get a better perspective on size. We don't even have the first tank up and running and my mind is calculating why we will need a second tank..lol.

It's been well over 20 yrs since I had fish and I remember how many tanks I "needed" then for all my fishies. I need to practice self control...lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The dwarf shrimp are about 1" as adults. Tiny, beautiful, almost no bioload...

Juvies and newly molted shrimp need only a little cocktail sauce to make a nice snack for fish, but older ones with hard shells aren't easy to eat. Give them a lot of hiding of hiding places where fish can't get and you should be fine. Yes, some will get eaten but survival of th fittest, right?

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Jab,

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others in providing information. List all of it that you can, tank size, start date and so on.

I highly recommend that the Rainbow Shark go into no less than a 55g tank. These fish have territory issues and it gets worse as the fish matures and gets acclimated to his new environment. I also suggest that should you decide on one of these that you add it last. This way it won't have time to set up territory before you have the chance to add tank mates. This might help to curve the issue at least for a while. They do require lots of space and they grow to 6 inches.

I have a Rainbow Shark in my 265g (my stock in my signature) and he gives my Silver Dollars a run for their money. Luckily the Silver Dollars are fast and have room to escape so no damage done. Whew!

My Rainbow Shark gets along well with the 4 Cory Cats that I have for bottom dwellers and my Pleco is not harassed nor are my Bloody Parrots. They tend to pick on the more docile species.

Have fun stocking your tank.
Keep us posted!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom