Shrimp!!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! I'm looking to do a small shrimp nano tank first and foremost, and potentially want some shrimp as a clean up crew in my other tanks!

Looking for 1-3 small-ish colourful freshwater shrimps ideally, or any other freshwater shrimp if that isn't possible. The cheaper the better

I happen to have 3 bright red guppies (2m, 1f) I'm looking to sell if you are willing to trade instead.

I'm to East of London, in Surrey, and can pick up the shrimp if you are fairly local.

Thanks in advance!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gypsy13 said:
Shrimp are just too cute right? Good luck!
I know! I just love the little guys but the ones in my lfs aren't very healthy right now so I'm resorting to searching elsewhere..

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Daaang you're making me wish so hard I figured out my shrimp problems lol. Mine aren't quite healthly either, and I'm glad you're able to recognize that your LFS doesn't have healthy ones so that you don't go buying sick ones. If they were healthy, I'd be able to send cherry shrimp (blue velvet, blue dream, carbon rili, red rili). You're going to post pics of this nano, right?
What size nano? Cherry shrimp are probably going to be your best bet if you're doing freshwater. If it's 5 gallons or larger, you *might* be able to do some crystal reds or blacks, but I'd only do those if these aren't your first shrimp. Anyway, good luck on finding some, I hope it goes well!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
Daaang you're making me wish so hard I figured out my shrimp problems lol. Mine aren't quite healthly either, and I'm glad you're able to recognize that your LFS doesn't have healthy ones so that you don't go buying sick ones. If they were healthy, I'd be able to send cherry shrimp (blue velvet, blue dream, carbon rili, red rili). You're going to post pics of this nano, right?
What size nano? Cherry shrimp are probably going to be your best bet if you're doing freshwater. If it's 5 gallons or larger, you *might* be able to do some crystal reds or blacks, but I'd only do those if these aren't your first shrimp. Anyway, good luck on finding some, I hope it goes well!
That's the thing; I had already bought some a few months ago. Only after taking them home and doing a little research when they acted strange that they were all white sick. I lost them within a month. Now I know the symptoms I can see my lfs shrimp aren't very happy.

Yeah I'm planning on only a small 2-3g walstad tank but I will let the shrimp acclimatise in my 10g first before I move 1 or 2 of them to their home (i need to set it up fully and check it works)

Thanks!

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I vote for quantity and economy; did you ever catch the shrimp-related posts in @Nigel95's forest scape thread?
Nigel's Forest Scape 128l
He used a literal (littoral? ) herd of cherry shrimp (and nerites) for initial maintenance. We don't all have the budget or the stock to go that far, but I was impressed how the humble neocard did such a great job. I presume the numbers had something to do with it.
My lss (local shrimp store) sells wild type neocards (non-coloured cherries) for $1.29 each (CDN dollars, so, like $0.50 US :mad. [wow, that's 3 parenthetical clauses in a single sentence - might be a personal best]. You could get quite a clean up crew if you can find them anywhere near that rate. Also, check out your local aquarist bstf's (incl fishlore). You might find some cherry shrimp breeders willing to part with decent numbers of their less colourful stock for a song.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry about your loss, when you say "white sick" do you mean bacterial infection/muscular necrosis? Like the inside of the shrimp turned white? If so, I'm so sorry you got sick shrimp, there's not much that can be done at that point.
I'd stick with cherries for the small walstad, and you could do as many as ten or fifteen even. More are possible for that size, actually, you don't have to limit yourself to just one or two.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
I'm sorry about your loss, when you say "white sick" do you mean bacterial infection/muscular necrosis? Like the inside of the shrimp turned white? If so, I'm so sorry you got sick shrimp, there's not much that can be done at that point.
I'd stick with cherries for the small walstad, and you could do as many as ten or fifteen even. More are possible for that size, actually, you don't have to limit yourself to just one or two.
It's called calcium deficiency.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please remember this is the BST board & not a discussion board, if you want to continue your discussion then start a thread on the appropriate board.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Coradee said:
Please remember this is the BST board & not a discussion board, if you want to continue your discussion then start a thread on the appropriate board.
Ok!

@bitseriously thank you, I will look at them now!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom