Shrimp With Rams 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by NLindsey921, Apr 17, 2018.

1. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. I have 2 gold rams and 1 ebr in my tank. Beautiful fish. I would like to keep shrimp in the tank as a clean up crew however they have eaten about 20 or 30 dwarf shrimp in about 2 weeks. Can I suggestions on what shrimp I can put in the tank that they won't hunt down and eat?

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Bigger shrimp should be safe. I have 2 Amano shrimp with my Bolivian Ram and all is good.

3. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

I had 2 amano shrimp. Now I have 1. Is there any other species of shrimp that would be safe with the fish and not be aggressive towards the fish.

4. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I only have experience with Amano and Ghost Shrimp. My Amanos do not mess with anybody. My 2 Ghosties died a few months ago, but they lived about a year and there was no aggression to each other, the Amanos or any fish. Ghost Shrimp are cheap, you can get 12 for $1 here. Maybe you could try them.

What happened to your other Amano? Did he die? Did you see the dead body or body parts? Because for the longest time I thought one of mine died, but it is just that it was hiding extremely well.

5. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Kuhli loaches or cories would be a better clean up crew. Any type of shrimp will eventually become snacks since your rams now have a taste for them.

6. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

I would suggest more plant cover and hiding places for the shrimp. My cherry shrimps used to breed like crazy in my heavily planted 15 gallon even with a pair of ram ( too small I know, that's why I upgraded) that eats an occasional shrimp or two. But since I transferred them all to a 30 gallon, they've been hunted to extinction. The difference between the tanks is that the new one is not that heavily planted.

7. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

I assume the amano shrimp died because I haven't seen it in about a week. It could be hiding but I'm not sure.

I have kuhli loaches in the tank. About 8 of them. They only eat left over meaty foods. They don't touch any veggie based foods. Can I put Cory cats in with kuhlis?

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I had cories with kuhlis and they got along great. I have 9 kuhlis (3 more in QT) with my GBR and they pick up everything on the gravel, including leftover algae wafers.

9. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

As a clean up crew type shrimp? I dont know of any others that get bigger. As filter feeders, there's a few. They look creepy but cant hurt a guppy fry. Vampire shrimp are probably the most popular. You may just want to add movement. The reason tanks look better with cories and kuhlis is probably more them kicking particles into the water so the filter gets it, than anything else. They will eat missed foods but after they are done, I've seen them leave a favorite pellet on the substrate until it broke apart and got sucked into the filter.

10. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

I have two air stones and a canister filter. Is that enough flow? If not I can make the air stones stronger. I have them slowed down because the rams were avoiding that side of the tank when I had them full blast.

But if corys can go in, I have some panda corys I can move over from a ten gal then I can get something else for the ten.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  11. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

I dont know of any circulation pumps small enough for you. That's what I meant, not just rippling water.

I'm learning more and more to just try fish sometimes. If it doesnt work out, have a backup plan. I'm not good with stocking for your fish but if it's not over stocking, and everyone is temp compatible I would say try it out. My kuhlis are getting more and more rowdy so they aren't the pushovers I keep hearing they are. And my cories didnt care about anyone either. They would move out of the plecos way, but other than that got into it with everyone else during feeding.

12. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

Oh. I'll do some research and see what I can find

13. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, panda corys aren’t temperature compatible with rams & although they will eat any food that hits the bottom they really shouldn’t be thought of as clean up crew , they do need their own diet.
    If you really want corys then I’d suggest C.aenus, bronze or albino or C.sterbai as they can handle higher temps

14. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

I already have them. They were in my 10 gal. I have Cory wafers and other different foods to feed them. I have them because I like them. They have been in a tank with a Betta. They seem to be fine with the increased temps.

15. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

One thing I've done with Amano Shrimp is set up a grow out tank for them and then added them once they reached a better size. Often times when you purchase these inverts they come in very small and are much more tempting to your rams.

16. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

Found a nano circulation pump rated for 10 to 40 gal tanks. I ordered it and am going to try it out. It should be here in 2 days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice