Shrimp vs. Snails vs. Fish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 12 gallon that is almost done cycling. In another uncycled tank 3 gallon tank I have a red female betta named Paprika. (I know, I should have cycled the tank. Rookie mistake, and also a last minute COVID-19 pet shop closure rescue. :)) Anyways, my question is what do you guys think I should put in the tank first? Shrimp? Snails? Or Paprika?

I know that she's dying to flex her fins and really become speed. At the same time, I think giving the shrimp a head start (so that they would know where all the hiding places are) would be a good idea, even if I would have to supplement them with algae wafers. Or should I put some snails in, so that they can stop an algae bloom before it even happens (plus they're cute :p)

So what does everyone think? P.S. When I checked the tank this morning, there was algae growing up the aquarium walls :sour:

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add shrimp and snails first, if u add floating plants it will stop an algae bloom. What kind of shrimp are they? If they are cherry shrimp/neocaridina then maybe give them like a month so they have their first generation of babies so that if your beeltta eats a few there will still be lots alive

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SnookusFish said:
I would add shrimp and snails first, if u add floating plants it will stop an algae bloom. What kind of shrimp are they? If they are cherry shrimp/neocaridina then maybe give them like a month so they have their first generation of babies so that if your beeltta eats a few there will still be lots alive
I'm actually not sure what kind of shrimp I'm getting yet. I'm on the fence between amano shrimp (the ones at my LFS would be too big for my betta to eat) and cherry shrimp which are very colorful and fun to watch, but may become a potential snack. Does anyone prefer one over the other? And could Paprika become constipated/overfed if she eats the RCS?

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you don't have the shrimp yet (assuming not, since you didn't mention where they were) I would move the betta in first. She'll benefit from being in an 'almost' cycled tank, more than being in an uncycled tank. Also, shrimp are pretty sensitive to water parameters & changes, so putting them in a tank that isn't well established might end badly for them.
I'd put in the betta and snail, keep a close eye on the parameters, stay on your water changes etc. Once everything is settled, and there's plenty of biofilm in the tank for them, add the shrimp along with some good hides (ie java moss etc.) :)

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have amanos and cherries, cherries are beautiful and fun to watch because of all the babies but yep, they have likited my stocking choices, no dwarf cichlids for me
:( amano shrimp are great cleaners but wont breed without salt water

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Algonquin said:
By the way, Paprika is a very cute name for a betta :) Can we see a pic of her?
Sure! She doesn't stay still for long though lol. The camera wouldn't focus on her while she was swimming but I managed to snap a pic of her from the top and coming out of her plant. She currently has a few moss ball friends and a java fern; both will be moved when she is :)

She has a round belly because she ate some brine shrimp a few hours ago
20200710_115457.jpg
20200710_115827.jpg

Oh by the way, what kind of floating plants would you recommend? I have medium light and I dose liquid ferts

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thanks! I'll call my LFS and see if they have it so I can pick it up. If they don't, do you have other recommendations?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cherry shrimp do better if introduced to a tank that's been running for at least two months so there's time for biofilm to develop. If you decide to get some please keep in mind that they will likely spend much of their time hiding from your betta, and they might also become expensive betta snacks.

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gotcha. I think I'll wait on the shrimp then :)

New Threads