Shrimp Vorticella suddenly gone?

KasumiKi

Hi there! I have a Bloody Mary colony that’s been established for about 6 months. In July I bought more from the same source because I had only girls and wanted to breed them. A few days later, they were presenting with what I thought was vorticella. After doing a lot of research and talking with an expert friend I decided I would tear the tank down, euthanize the shrimp, bleach everything, and start over with new shrimp. Extreme, I know, but that was what I decided to do. I still haven’t torn the tank down (still grieving and trying to figure out how I wanted to do it).

I just went to check on them today and make some plans to finally tear the tank down but now I can’t see any vorticella on them at all?? Not to mention there are some babies swimming around now! Could it have not been vorticella? I didn’t treat the tank at all, just left it alone for a month. Is it just in a different phase and going to come back? I’m not quite sure what to do now. I’ll be asking my friend later but in the meantime I thought I’d ask here. I also haven’t seen any dead bodies or anything and they’re eating and apparently breeding.

Here is what they looked like the beginning of July. None of them have any remaining fuzz that I can see.
5137CC9A-2BAF-447A-9E96-7F9FF5B9D656.jpeg

richiep

That is vorticellia and will only kill shrimp when it enters the gills the chances are those two died and were eaten, its not worth the drastic measures of ripping your tank apart when it can be easily treated, looking at your colony you have some high grade shrimp there and a shame to kill them needlessly, no doubt you have been researching for treatments but here's one article I highly recommend you read if you've not done so.

erbear

Vorticella can be treated quite effectively with a salt dip.

1 cup tank water and 1 teaspoon salt (no anticaking agents or iodine/iodide).

Dip the shrimp for 30 seconds.

You can do a salt dip for the shrimp 1x per day.

Top Bottom