55 Gallon Tank Shrimp used in cycling

Brainlady

Oh beam me up!!! I have a new tank, 55 gallon cycling. I added about 20 gallons from my 75 gallon tank when I did a water change, the driftwood is boiled and in the tank, the tank is a bit brownish but that OK...... problem is the SMELL!!!!! I have four large shrimp hanging inside a stocking-foot in the tank to accelerate the process!! I am going to hang in there because I believe in a fish-less cycle but crumbs it does pong a bit!! I had the door to my office, where all my tanks are closed, and when I came home from work and opened the door..... nearly fell on the floor. I now have a plate of baking-soda on top of the tank... hopeful!!!

RIP Beautiful Boy you are missed
RIP little Phantom Tetra, I loved you as well

iloveengl
You could just add a chunk of your filter media to your new filter for an instant (no-stink) cycle. You'll want to dump most of that shrimp water though. Just refill and add a couple fish to keep the bacteria fed.

Brainlady
Oh I like that idea. My filter system on my 75 gal is Fluval 404 which, when I open it up looks sort of complicated. Not sure how I would add some of its media to my 55 gal. My 55 gal has the filter where you insert the filter pads. Very different filters. Think I may... be able to stick the shrimp out for one more day, check the water parameters and see if I can somehow use some of the media from the 75 gal but have no clue how that would work other than take out some of the charcoal and float it in the tank.

Jaysee
It takes some ingenuity but isn't that hard to do. You'll probably need a pair of scissors.

psalm18.2
How long has the shrimp been in there? Mine never smelled. Got lucky? I even used raw shrimp.
Is there any way you could swish the fluval filter in the new tank water? Or stuff some polyfiber in old filter? Not sure if you could use cotton balls stuffed in pantyhose or not.

Brainlady
I actually put some baking soda out on a plate and the smell is almost gone. The stocking has fuzz all over it so I guess lots of bacteria are growing. I used raw shrimp in my stocking. I am actually excited about this method now, I think a combination of using some of the 75 gal water as well as the shrimp will give me a good and rapid cycle. Learning about the nitrogen cycle has actually been fun!!

RIP Beautiful Boy
RIP little Tetra

JC|Arky
I used a filter from my 10 gallon for 2 days on my new 36g bowfront. It started looking kinda gross so I yanked it and put in a shrimp sized piece of Tilapia!! haha..Hope it works.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom