Shrimp Types Other Than Red Cherry Shrimp?

RogueAgent94

I'm looking into making a shrimp tank. I was wondering what type of bright colored shrimp there are other than Red Cherry Shrimp. Also, will shrimp mix breed and then produce less colorful offspring if I mixed them? For example, if I put Blue Crystal Shrimp with Red Cherry Shrimp, would they mix breed? If they do, what would be the look of the shrimplets?

Teishokue

Blue crystals??? you mean black?... anyways crystals and cherry dwarfs don't interbreed. while Cherries, yellows, blues and oranges do mix and will produce a wild type coloration. since those are all the same species of dwarfs. The blue/normal tigers will mix too and will produce a bland color also. I personally love the deep blue tiger shrimps. there are also snowball shrimp and rudolph shrimp. Amano shrimps. and ghost shrimps although both of those are not so colorful.

mtsguy21

There is a new thread under buy/sell/trade that has red cherry and blue pearl shrimp for sale if you want to look at it. LexI and I have both, but in separate tanks. The rcs have colired out, but the blue ones haven't yet so I don't have any pictures.

Lexi03

From the info I found when I was looking shrimps up for my tanks, the two would not inter breed, two color morphs of the same type of shrimp would so if you had blue crystal shrimp and red crystal shrimp or red cherry and blue pearl shrimp they would interbreed and create some not so desirable offspring.

Aquarist

Hello RougeAgent,

You may find this link interesting:

I hope you're getting settled in!

Ken

RogueAgent94

Thanks for the replies everyone!

So far I've seen - Crystal Red shrimp, Yellow Shrimp, Blue Tiger Shrimp, and Blue Pearl Shrimp. I also like Red Cherry shrimp. I like all of those. I don't really like snowball, amano, ghost, and rudolph shrimp very well. I did see a picture of a type of shrimp called Red Painted Shrimp. They were really pretty.

You think all those will mix breed and leave me with a bunch of dull colored shrimp?

EDIT: I just saw a picture of Golden Bee Shrimp. I'll probably put them in the place of the Yellow Crystals instead.

D_C_1

What do you think of Dark Green shrimp?

The chart on this link () may be helpful in stocking the tank with more than one species of shrimp, although it needs an update in terms of the shrimp that are not included in it. Hope that helps anyway

RogueAgent94

Oooh they look interesting. I'm afraid they might blend into the plants though. I want something that really pops out at you. Thanks for the link! I'll look over it.

Teishokue

orange and blue (deep not dark) will be your best bet. the ones that you might like a lot is the blue tigers, some come with orange eyes.

yallyall1

vampire and harlequin shrimp are awesome check them out

Teishokue

harlequin is salt. vamps are kind of dull color

D_C_1

Harlequins are not saltwater. They do need quite a high pH though. You should check them out along with Brown Camo, Malaya and Bee Shrimp - they all look nice and are possible to breed in complete FW.

RogueAgent94

Thanks for all the suggestions! Okay so I like Blue Tigers, Red Painted Shrimp, and Golden Bee Shrimp. You think I could keep all those together?

yallyall1

Are the red painted shrimp dyed? they look overly red... I believe you'd be ok with that stock... what about a nerite as well?

Harlequins are both Saltwater and Freshwater but they are different species lol

Angel eyes

Ghost shrimp are really cool as they change colors as they eat I have several in a 20 gallon long and they eat the green algae and you can watch it go in then and yes they turn green hehe..even when they steal some other foods like yellow squash they will turn yellow kinda fun to watch.

RogueAgent94

yallyall1 - I really don't know if they are dyed or not LOL. Can you even dye a shrimp?

Angel eyes - I use to breed ghost shrimp, the wild variety, and I don't like them so much any more hahaha. They get to big for my liking.

D_C_1

I do not think that Golden Bees and Blue Tigers can go together as they are both part of the Caridina genus.

The only thing that i've read about dyed shrimp is this:

I Googled Red Painted Shrimp and one of the links said that they are high grade/selectively bred RCS with solid red colouring. They were called 'Taiwan Painted Red Fire Shrimp' on that though. I also found this: I assume they are the right shrimp?

To me, the word 'painted' implies dyed but it could easily just be the selectively bred name the breeder chose for it. If they do turn out to be a kind of RCS then you could keep them with either Blue Tigers or Golden Bees but not both. Hope this helps

RogueAgent94

Thanks! Haha I really know basically nothing about shrimp ;D

Teishokue

never seen a freshwater harlequin can u find anything that says so?

Teishokue

ah, I thought u have been talking about the species Hymenocera elegans

Landozer18

Rouge you know lots compared to the average fish keeper. I like the links in this thread.
Thanks all.
How big did the ghost shrimp you kept get?
WhatShould I expect for life span and size in my ghost shrimp?

RogueAgent94

Thanks! Very kind of you to say .

Wild Ghosts get larger than domestic varieties so I had larger ones. Domestic ones get to about 1.5 inches. Females are larger than males. Males rarely reach the 1 inch mark. Depending on how many you have and the size of your aquarium, your ghosts should reach at least 1 inch and live to about 2 years. I've had mine live longer but that's a rare occurrence.

Landozer18

I have three in my 28 g but I wanna add like 3 more then put about 5 in my other tank then another bred in with them.

RogueAgent94

I wouldn't put other types of shrimp with Ghosts because the ghosts will most likely eat them.

Landozer18

Darn that's what I thought.
My first experience with shrimp in home aquarium;
Come home from christmas holidays at my moms
Look in tank right away. woah what's that? where did these clear and one red shrimp come from?
Find out room mates mom added 2 rts's guess what happened there.
Also she added 3 ghost shrimp & 1 cherry shrimp.
1 week later cherry shrimp mia.
3 days later one rts not growing other one getting huge and bullying the littler one
10 days later rts dead. Other one roaming tank perfectly healthy.
11th day read rts should be kept one per tank generally and choose other tank mates carefully as rts is territorial agressive.
12th day hooked on learning about household aquariums and the inhabitants.

NOW MTS Hard.
got third tank today
middle - end next month 4th tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
eligri
Replies