Shrimp Type Question

1. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Valued Member Member

At the lfs I saw a tank with shrimp labeled "algae eating shrimp", in this tank there is a betta and a ton of these shrimp and at least 2 other kinds of small fish. I decided to pick up 2 of them (1 for each tank) at just under 5 dollars each and give them a shot. I wanted 1 for the 10 gallon and figured I'd see how my betta likes 1 for his 5 gallon, if he starts looking at him funny I'll have 2 for my 10 gallon. I was told they were "usually amano shrimp" but was wondering if anyone might be able to identify better then the associates I spoke to. They were all around the size of the betta in the tank with them, maybe the last 2 sections of my pinky, if not slightly bigger/fatter. I tried to get 2 of the smaller ones. 20180425_133219.jpg 20180425_133224.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

Cool, thanks for a quick reply! Think one of that size should be ok with a betta in a 5g?

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Yes, they should be fine together. I’ve kept a pair with a betta in a 10gal and they got on wonderfully. They’ll probably get a bit bigger, I think my female is as long as my pinky. Make sure they get enough food and not just left overs from the betta, they have a big appatite and can’t survive on algae alone.

5. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

Good to know, I'm glad you told me that. My betta tank at the moment is also a little brownish from tannins and has the usual mold on driftwood after about 3 weeks or so. Will this be an issue or would it be a good idea to wait till the water clears up? I understand they need very clean water, I'm just about done with drip acclimating them with my 10 gallon water.