Shrimp Tank Stocking Ideas

1. K

Kuru New Member Member

I want to set up my 40g breeder as a planted shrimp tank. I want to add some fish and other things into the tank.

I was considering
    15 Shrimp (suggestions on kind?)
    10 Endlers
    10 Thai Micro Crabs
    12 Rummynose Tetras
    12 Cardinal Tetras

Any ideas on other tankmates or replacing some of these ones?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I would recommend amano shrimp. They are less colourful than some but get big enough not to be eaten by most small community fish. They also eat algae.

Here's an idea
    15 amano shrimp
    10 thai micro crabs
    5 endlers
    10 otos
    12-15 chili rasboras
    12 ember tetras

Edit: Here is a picture of one of my amanos and one of my rabbit snails eating some vegetables
    RabbitSnailAndShrimp.jpg

3. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Shrimp should be on their own. All fish including small peaceful ones will eat shrimp babies.

Many say only 1 type/color of shrimp. Red Cherries are most popular. I though have Red, Orange, Yellow, Velvet Blue, Pearl Blue, and Red Rili. They don't mix the colors because if the different colors breed the babies will be an ugly brownish color as they are in the wild and they would be sterile. I'm not in it for breeding so that doesn't matter to me. The unwanted ones can be removed and if you have another tank with fish, they make good live fish food.

4. BuddyD

Amanos = boring
    otos = certain death (unless you have prior experience with them)

Replace otos with Cories.
    If you want shrimp get a second tank, even a small one will do for a few shrimp.

5. BottomDweller

Amanos boring?!? We'll have to disagree there

Otos can be sensitive but if the tank is established then getting them does not mean certain death. Many people keep them successfully. Otos are also pretty much the only guaranteed shrimp safe fish.

6. BuddyD

My tank is established. I bought 6 otos a month ago and now have only 2 left. I have a 30 gal tank and plenty of live plants to get algae from. Though it could be because they were bought from petsmart when they had a buy 4 get 2 free sale.

7. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

My Amanos are characters, keep in 55 community they are about 2" long. They will grab a morsel of food from anybody in the tank and scurry off to enjoy. Here's a pic.
    Shrimp.jpg

8. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

That's a beautiful photo of them, @jmaldo.

9. OP
    OP
    K

Kuru New Member Member

If i were to go this route (which I don't know if I want to or not... I was really hoping for more colorful shrimp), could I have more than 5 endlers? and 10 otos seems excessive for a 40g tank with no current algae issues

10. BottomDweller

In a 40 gallon I would just do 2 schools. Endlers aren't schooling fish so you don't need many of them but tetras and rasboras are so benefit from being in as large a group as possible.

Otos are also schooling so should be kept in groups of 6+

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    A note on thai micro crabs, they are very shy and you will likely never see them if you are keeping them with fish. They'd also probably be eaten, tbh....