Shrimp tank set-up help -- filtration & airstone?

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I set up a 5-gallon shrimp tank a couple weeks ago (using cycled elements for BB & live plants) and recently noticed a few deaths. Yikes! I think I was overfeeding, combined with the sponge pre-filter choking off too much of the water flow. Before the deaths I started feeding a couple daily carnivore pellets thinking that would help them breed, but it negatively affected water quality. I got up to .5 Nitrites and from 0 to .25 Ammonia (not quite to .25 but less bright yellow than my other tanks' results). I've got it back down through gravel-vacuuming and a couple partial water changes two days in a row (I know they don't like big changes), and removed the sponge pre-filter since there are no fry. They seem to like the greater flow and it's picking up their poop more effectively.

Currently I have the tank in the high 70s (preset "betta bowl" heater), only ambient light, HOB filter. They've got marimo moss, java moss, algae, and biofilm on a few baby plants (java fern, anubias nana "petite"). Parameters are GH 60, KH 0-40, Ph 6, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0-20, Ammonia 0. I'm going to be feeding them HikarI Shrimp Cuisine once it arrives in a couple days. In the last couple days I've noticed a few shrimp molting, which I take as a good sign. But I welcome advice. Is an airstone a good idea? Any other tips?

In the past I had cherry shrimp in my unheated 50-gal and they were breeding successfully but died off in the winter, so I wanted to do it "right" this time but am off to a poor start. :(
DSC_0754.JPG

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to the forum. We'll help all we can.
  1. In the first paragraph you said you had 0.50 nitrates. Did you mean nitrites? If yes, that could be the problem. Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites.
  2. High 70's is probably warmer than you need. It will accelerate their life cycle, so while they will move around more, and maybe produce more offspring, they also won't live as long. I'd suggest setting your heater to room temperature, or even slightly below, so that it will just be there to keep the water from getting too cold.
  3. What acclimation method did you use when you introduced the shrimp to the tank? They are sensitive to water parameter changes, and it's generally recommended to drip acclimate them for a couple hours.
  4. It's usually recommended to only add shrimp to tanks that have been up and running for several months to build up biofilm, but it's too late to worry about that now.

OP
F

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JettsPapa said:
Welcome to the forum. We'll help all we can.
  1. In the first paragraph you said you had 0.50 nitrates. Did you mean nitrites? If yes, that could be the problem. Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites.
  2. High 70's is probably warmer than you need. It will accelerate their life cycle, so while they will move around more, and maybe produce more offspring, they also won't live as long. I'd suggest setting your heater to room temperature, or even slightly below, so that it will just be there to keep the water from getting too cold.
  3. What acclimation method did you use when you introduced the shrimp to the tank? They are sensitive to water parameter changes, and it's generally recommended to drip acclimate them for a couple hours.
  4. It's usually recommended to only add shrimp to tanks that have been up and running for several months to build up biofilm, but it's too late to worry about that now.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I fixed that typo now. I did have some nitrites (autocorrect keeps changing it!) so that must have been the problem. I did drip acclimate and they all survived initial introduction to the tank, so I think it was inadequate BB rather than initial parameters. The log, sand planter, and filter sponge intake (now inside the HOB filter) and plants had all been from my long-established tank and had a good coating of algae (that's been largely gobbled up) but I'm hindsight I needed to run it longer than a week before adding shrimp.

From here on, do you think an airstone would be helpful? Is the lack of light good or should I add one?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've only been keeping shrimp for a short time, but it's my understanding that air stones are helpful.

As far as I know the shrimp won't care about the light, but your plants might. Looking at the picture it appears that there is a fair amount of ambient light, and those all look like plants that don't need a lot of light, so I think you'll be okay, but keep an eye on it. It can be difficult to balance light and fertilizer so that desirable plants do well without algae getting out of hand. Some algae is good in a shrimp tank, and as far as the shrimp are concerned I don't know that there can be too much, but of course it can get unsightly.

I'm going to tag richie.p on this. He's been keeping shrimp a lot longer than I have and might have something to add.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Putting shrimp in a tank after a week is suicidal for the shrimp and I can only see you losing them all shortly, the tank should be at least 3months old before adding shrimp, your ph6 is showing becaus the tank is so new and that alone will stress shrimp and lead to health problems, add an sir stone that will help and I hope I'm wrong and they all live, hopefully the moulting is natural and not down to stress, as JettsPapa said light is not a must but your plants will suffer and if you feed to much fertiliser that can kill shrimp,
I've given you the worst possible scenario and hope6some will live to start your colony

OP
F

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
Putting shrimp in a tank after a week is suicidal for the shrimp and I can only see you losing them all shortly, the tank should be at least 3months old before adding shrimp, your ph6 is showing becaus the tank is so new and that alone will stress shrimp and lead to health problems, add an sir stone that will help and I hope I'm wrong and they all live, hopefully the moulting is natural and not down to stress, as JettsPapa said light is not a must but your plants will suffer and if you feed to much fertiliser that can kill shrimp,
I've given you the worst possible scenario and hope6some will live to start your colony
My ph is 6 even in tanks that have been running for several years, it's just my local water. Caresheets seem to say they prefer 6-8? Thanks for the airstone advice but no need to chide me about the set-up time, I opened this thread perfectly humble and open to advice. I'm pretty experienced with fish and have had success with a cycled filter & tank elements in the past. I thought the bioload of shrimp would be lower than fish.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Had you given all the information st the start then the answers may have been different , we can only answer on information given
You may well be an experienced fish keeper but your not a shrimp keeper otherwise you would not done it the way you have, sorry for being blunt but again answers given on information recieved

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know it's difficult to know what information is needed, and you did give a lot in your initial post. I apologize for overlooking the ph. Hopefully theses shrimp will survive, but if not you might want to try caradina shrimp next time. I believe they're better suited to low ph.

Also, please remember that on this forum, just like in any large group, some people will be more blunt than others, and the way advice is given doesn't affect its validity. richie.p has given valuable advice to me and many others here. He seems to enjoy helping other people be better shrimp keepers, and I sincerely he continues to do so.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I know it's difficult to know what information is needed, and you did give a lot in your initial post. I apologize for overlooking the ph. Hopefully theses shrimp will survive, but if not you might want to try caradina shrimp next time. I believe they're better suited to low ph.

Also, please remember that on this forum, just like in any large group, some people will be more blunt than others, and the way advice is given doesn't affect its validity. richie.p has given valuable advice to me and many others here. He seems to enjoy helping other people be better shrimp keepers, and I sincerely he continues to do so.
I seriously thinking about what to do now

OP
F

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:bored: Am I misunderstanding? Are you guys implying someone would quit a forum because I said "no need to chide me" in a perfectly polite sentence where I also thanked for advice? That's bananas, I feel like I was extremely polite especially given the acknowledged "bluntness."

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishtine said:
:bored: Am I misunderstanding? Are you guys implying someone would quit a forum because I said "no need to chide me" in a perfectly polite sentence where I also thanked for advice? That's bananas, I feel like I was extremely polite especially given the acknowledged "bluntness."
I think he means with your shrimp not the forum..

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishtine said:
It's the 3rd time this week of being accused of telling someone I've chide them and to be honest there's no need for it because they and you have been told you've done it wrong , that's not my fault and I've had just about enough of it and it dose make you want to leave

OP
F

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
It's the 3rd time this week of being accused of telling someone I've chide them and to be honest there's no need for it because they and you have been told you've done it wrong , that's not my fault and I've had just about enough of it and it dose make you want to leave
I'm sorry you're discouraged, but your own advice is to learn from criticism rather than dismiss other people because you don't want to hear something. I will take your advice appreciatively as you're an expert on shrimp. But to paraphrase, you're not an expert on manners if this is an ongoing issue.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So let me jump in here... first we all need to take a breath. We are all from different parts of the world and express ourselves differently, also the written word is sometimes hard to project emotion.
@op Richie is accurate and correct in his assessment you made some very novice mistakes, none the less the damage is done. Your tank more then likely was not cycled and I don't understand how to could have the KH and GH numbers with such a low PH. This makes me question if your testing correctly it’s easy to make mistakes in water testing. I would recommend that you let this tank sit for the next three months see if your shrimp make it but do not add any more shrimp for the time being...

OP
F

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly after posting I had made mistakes and welcome advice, being answered with "Putting shrimp in a tank after a week is suicidal for the shrimp and I can only see you losing them all shortly," and "your not a shrimp keeper otherwise you would not done it the way you have," and "you made some very novice mistakes, none the less the damage is done ... This makes me question if your testing correctly," is all overkill designed not to help a new forum member but to show off and alienate someone admittedly new to the hobby.

So far the only actual concrete advice given has been to add an airstone, which I did.

If you do not like giving kind advice to new people then the simple solution is not to respond to a question you can't answer helpfully. I have test strips and well as API liquid tests (for Ammonia, GH, KH & Ph) and always confirm unexpected or high results. This is just my local water quality. Do you have an actionable suggestion for improving parameters? That I'm happy to hear, but I'm done being berated about what I should have done in the past and if you don't like MY tone please be aware I'm here to learn about shrimp, not navigate the feelings relationships of who's being rude on purpose and who just doesn't know what's rude.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you might have just lost support from some very experienced people. Hope others will be as helpful as the support you may have lost.

Best of luck to you.

New Threads