Shrimp Tank Oopsies

1. E

EchoZ New Member Member

Hello, so long story short my tank was suppose to be cycled by now and it still has high nitrites. I have a 10 gallon with danios and a cory in it that is cycled but I don't want them eating my expensive shrimp that are coming in tomorrow or the next day...So could I temporarily (for like maybe a week) keep the shrimp(5 dream blue) in a 5 gallon bucket or a bowl until my tank is cycled? Or should i put my danios in the cycling tank and do water changes for them?

I know I should have waited but whatcha gonna do now.

2. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I'd put the danios in the uncycled tank and cory in the bucket and the shrimp in the 10. It's called the rock and the hard place! For shrimp to thrive you need older tanks, they should be cycled for at least 3 months. The only good thing I can tell you are blue dreams are one of the hardest Neos.

3. OP
    OP
    E

EchoZ New Member Member

I don't think the emerald dwarf cory will hurt the shrimp? Never seen it be aggressive toward anything.

4. OP
    OP
    E

EchoZ New Member Member

Also I heard they are a variant of cherry shrimp and just as easy to keep?

5. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

They're not as easy as a cherry, but close.

6. Baconater

Baconater New Member Member

I wouldn't think the danios or cory would be a threat to the shrimp.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Danios will for sure be a threat. Especially if they are smaller. I won't even put amanos in with my danios after a horribly gone wrong attempt at that. The poor thing didn't last 5 minutes in with my danios.

That said 10 gallons is to small for danios but an uncycled tank will kill the neos. I'd finish the cycle with the danios but you'll want to put them back in the larger tank asap.

And yes blue dreams are more difficult than a standard cherry. The further down you go from wild types the more difficult they become to keep as the inbreeding that goes along with all the lines weakens them and they are much more susceptible to parameters outside those in which they were raised.

8. OP
    OP
    E

EchoZ New Member Member

okay, I will move zebra danios then. I have till Wednesday so maybe my water will magically be good to go by than. Judging by my cycle its on the nitrite cycle so once thats fixed it should be good to go.

9. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Your Cory should not bother your shrimp and the danios if you acclimate them slowly should be ok for a month or so in the 10 gal. They wil also help your cycle as well.
    So IMO, danios in the 10 and the shrimp and Cory in the cycled tank. I would not keep anything in a bucket for longer then a day if that...
    As an idea pull half the water out of the cycled tank and half out of the 10 and swap them. Also if you can take filter media out of the cycled tank and add it to the 10 that might help.
    By all means acclimate the danios slowly.

10. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Bacteria doesn't live in the water column so swapping water wouldn't help :) Great idea to take some of the cycled media though!!

11. Baconater

Baconater New Member Member

This is interesting. I have had 2 amano shrimp in with 10 zebra danios and 15 white cloud mountain minnows for months now and they've never even seemed to notice the shrimp.

12. t

Taking the water will help in acclimating the fish in the new tank. Not meant for the BB... just to be clear.

13. R

Unless parameters are vastly different, there's really no point. It's just putting dirty water in a new tank.

14. t

I have done it with very good results. So I humbly have to disagree with your assessment.
    So let's just agree to disagree

15. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Valued Member Member

The strongest neocardinia shrimp I have ever seen are my gold back yellow fires

16. R

And I have done it my way with very good results. You have no way of knowing if you would have had the same results without combining water. Even when putting fish into a tank with different parameters, you drip acclimate them, not combine water. If you have tanks that have the same water source and you're not adjusting one tanks parameters and not the other, they'll have the same parameters. Theres just no physical or chemical reason to put dirty water into a clean aquarium. But sure, lets agree to disagree lol.