5 Gallon Tank Shrimp tank in trouble!

Dis13SM

Hi all, I’m kind of freaking right now!
I have an OLD 5 gallon tank (it must be 30 years old, not in use that whole time , but you get my point!)

Well a couple of years ago I put some blue dream(or blue velvet) shrimp in there (some pest snails made there way into that tank as well) so flash forward to today and the shrimps (and snails ) have flourished beyond what I ever thought! There are so many shrimp in there I can’t even count anymore, including a ton of babies, always.
Lately though, I have been getting paranoid that the tank is old and the silicon seams are looking bad, and today I noticed some dampness near one of the seams!!
Everytime I run a paper towel Down that seam it’s coming away a little wet!! this is is my biggest fear!
I DO have a cycled 10 gallon tank that I can move them to, provided I can get the TDS the same (right now there’s about 100 difference between the tanks), but I have NO IDEA how to safely go about capturing and transferring all of the shrimp to the new tank! There are just so many, how does anyone do it?
Are there shrimp traps you can set up to safely catch them? Or would I just suck them up with my gravel vac and hope for the best? I’m so worried about my shrimp babies !!
or is there anyway I can just re-seal the seam from the outside ? Ahhh I need help!

thanks in advance !!
-Steph

PongLee

What I've heard but not yet done myself is to use a water bottle. Cut the top part of the water bottle, open the lid, invert it into the water bottle, drill some holes for oxygen and put some food in there and your shrimp should go in there and not be able to escape easily. It's the same concept as a DIY minnow trap except for shrimp. You definitely have to drill air holes though otherwise they could all suffocate.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

It's very difficult to get all the shrimp out. I'd suggest removing all plants and/or decorations, and at least half of the water. Save the water. Net out as many as you can. Remove some more water and do it again.

Since you said you're concerned about the difference in TDS I'd suggest removing almost all of the water from the new tank and replace it with the water from the old tank. Slowly (maybe over several days) add new water until it's full.

What I've heard but not yet done myself is to use a water bottle. Cut the top part of the water bottle, open the lid, invert it into the water bottle, drill some holes for oxygen and put some food in there and your shrimp should go in there and not be able to escape easily. It's the same concept as a DIY minnow trap except for shrimp. You definitely have to drill air holes though otherwise they could all suffocate.

That certainly might work too, especially after you've netted out as many as you can. I am puzzled about the part about drilling the air holes. How will the shrimp suffocate in a bottle full of water that has the opening where they came in?

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

No easy way to do it unfortunately. I moved my bloody mary colonies from a 20 long and 10 gallon into a 40 breeder. Had to completely strip the tanks down and probably took me a few hours to work on netting the all out, I drained water as I went to reduce their net dodging abilities and once I had the water almost to the substrate I slightly elevated the back of the tank to push them all towards the front. I am sure I probably missed a couple small ones in the landside of substrate, but I still got about a thousand out doing it this way.

Upvote 0

PongLee

There’s not enough water flow in and out of the bottle with just the opening hole I’m pretty sure. I’ve never tried it out myself but people have tried it without air holes and said they came back to a bottle of dead shrimp

Upvote 0

Dis13SM

Thank you all, looks like I have a lot of careful netting in my future!! I might try the bottle trick too, but I found more water today so I want to get this done ASAP!
Thanks again!!!
Actually, in the new tank I’m moving them to, I have a sponge filter going and a HOB on the lowest setting. I have some thick filter material covering most of the intake (pic attached ) do you guys Think this is enough to keep the babies out or should I remove the HOB filter all together?

Upvote 0

PongLee

Thank you all, looks like I have a lot of careful netting in my future!! I might try the bottle trick too, but I found more water today so I want to get this done ASAP!
Thanks again!!!
Actually, in the new tank I’m moving them to, I have a sponge filter going and a HOB on the lowest setting. I have some thick filter material covering most of the intake (pic attached ) do you guys Think this is enough to keep the babies out or should I remove the HOB filter all together?
Looks like more than enough to keep them out. I used some sponges to cover my HOB and I still had babies everywhere

Upvote 0

Dis13SM

Thank you PongLee !! Once I’m done expect a picture of the new tank! lol there’s sooo much Java moss in the tank they are going into I may even have to thin it out !

It’s been about, oh, 8 hours, but I think I got all the shrimp out! There are still some snails to remove, and I’m planning some more shrimp sweeps to make sure I didn’t miss any babies, so the old tank is still half full but with no decor, but here’s the new digs! Not sure if that’s too much Java moss still or if they will like all that moss! Can too much Java moss be bad?

Upvote 0

Dis13SM

altermac wow that’s some dense moss!! Good to know!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dis13
  • Question
Replies
Views