Shrimp tank hardness, do I need ro

Gizzmosaurus

I want to set up a shrimp tank with either neocardina or caridina but I tested my tap water hardness and the general hardness is less then 1 and the carbonate hardness is 13 (I have a water softener). Is the only way to make my water suitable for shrimp using ro water?

V1K

Do I understand correctly that you have a softening filter installed? Is there any way you can install a tap before this filter?

I imagine that Neocaridina, being flexible as they are, could probably survive in softened water, provided you give them another source of calcium via food. But another problem with softened water is that plants don't grow in it because of the sodium which the softening filter uses to replace the calcium and magnesium. And keeping shrimp without plants is, in my opinion, just wrong.

Gizzmosaurus

Do I understand correctly that you have a softening filter installed? Is there any way you can install a tap before this filter?

I imagine that Neocaridina, being flexible as they are, could probably survive in softened water, provided you give them another source of calcium via food. But another problem with softened water is that plants don't grow in it because of the sodium which the softening filter uses to replace the calcium and magnesium. And keeping shrimp without plants is, in my opinion, just wrong.
I believe my garage tap isn’t connected to the softener so I will test that water, that explains why I have had difficulty growing any plant other than frogbit.

richiep

That gh1 will cause molt issues and death, you could add minerals like seechem equilibrium or salt bee gh+ to get you where you want

Gizzmosaurus

I tested my garage water and the gh was 16,
But I tested the house water again and the results seem good
Results:
TDS 250
Kh 1
Gh 1
Ph 7.6
The Kh is completely different so I will test it again a couple of days to see if it stays the same, but I believe if I add some shrimp minerals the. The water will be good for neocaridina, am I correct?

richiep

Adding minerals to bring that gh to gh8
Salty bee gh/ kh + will do the trick

Attachments

• salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-ghkh-85g.jpg
    salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-ghkh-85g.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1

Gizzmosaurus

Adding minerals to bring that gh to gh8
Salty bee gh/ kh + will do the trick
I presume it won’t matter if the tds gets to high when adding minerals to bring up the gh

V1K

I tested my garage water and the gh was 16,
If it's not awfully inconvenient, I'd use garage water, or if it's too far to carry, got a pipe from there to the house installed. Then you could use it without modifications, grow plants, everything. Cherry, Amano, bamboo, vampire shrimps all thrive in high GH like that. No bee shrimps though, those buggers are very specific and would need RO either way.

Gizzmosaurus

If it's not awfully inconvenient, I'd use garage water, or if it's too far to carry, got a pipe from there to the house installed. Then you could use it without modifications, grow plants, everything. Cherry, Amano, bamboo, vampire shrimps all thrive in high GH like that. No bee shrimps though, those buggers are very specific and would need RO either way.
I will see how consistent the house water is but if it is then I will use the garage water

Cherryshrimp420

Even with remineralizer, softened water will be high in sodium. This is not ideal for shrimp keeping, and caridina is definitely out of the question

Gizzmosaurus

Even with remineralizer, softened water will be high in sodium. This is not ideal for shrimp keeping, and caridina is definitely out of the question
So will my garage water work with Gh 16 and Kh 1 work for neocaridina or will I need ro filter?

Cherryshrimp420

So will my garage water work with Gh 16 and Kh 1 work for neocaridina or will I need ro filter?
garage water with some crushed coral will probably work

Cherryshrimp420

Cool, I will set that up when I get back from holiday a see how that goes.

would Adding seachem reef calcium work, because I am using a sponge filter there isn’t really a nice looking way to add crushed coral?https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Calcium-Liquid-Organic-Source/dp/B0002A5WAQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=1WP0A7L4XQ7ZW&keywords=aquarium+calcium&qid=1659287030&sprefix=aquarium+calciu,aps,146&sr=8-17
The crushed coral is for the bicarbonates as well to give you a way to replenish KH. Seachem also sells Kh boosters but I think they might be mainly baking soda so you are again adding some sodium

Gizzmosaurus

The crushed coral is for the bicarbonates as well to give you a way to replenish KH. Seachem also sells Kh boosters but I think they might be mainly baking soda so you are again adding some sodium
Ok what would be the best way to add crushed coral when using a sponge filter

Cherryshrimp420

You can add it directly to the tank. It's like a white gravel

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
LaTulip
Replies