Shrimp Tank Fish? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Bruises, Apr 20, 2019.

?

Is it a fish?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BruisesValued MemberMember

So, partner has just done a water change, and we found this little fish.
    Is it a fish?
    The tank ONLY has shrimp, never had a fish in there..

Solve the mystery please!

Uploaded pic, although it was very difficult to get a pic....

Attached Files:

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

That's a good one its so indecisive any chance of a closer picture, theres always a possibility eggs were on plants you brought in, at present I say no it's not a shrimp due to the eyes they are to big for a baby shrimp

3. BruisesValued MemberMember

I'll try, took a good 5 mins getting that one!
    No chance it was off a plant, he has had them in there for at least 1-2 months, throwing them before we even put shrimp in there.
    I'll see if I can get a pic now

I'm fully aware these picture are awful... but it's difficult with only a phone camera :)20190420_134711.jpg20190420_134749.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019 at 2:34 AM
  4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

i'v just looked on my computer and its still 50/50 but if you've added nothing then its young shrimp, it must be the angle of the photo, if there's one there's more

5. BruisesValued MemberMember

If it is young shrimp, they're odd looking!
    I expected some little legs, or at least a similar shape, it fully looks like fry :D
    It seems to be staying under the light too.
    I think I've created a new species :p

6. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

that's not a shrimp i'm sure of it , may a damsel fly larva it dose need to be identified in case it is as it would kill your shrimp, any chance coaching it into a glass to get a better pic

7. BruisesValued MemberMember

Googled Damsel Fly Larva, can't see anything that looks like it. It's quite red in colour.
    Trying to catch it with a shot glass like I usually do with fry, and it's far too quick. It also seems to be staying near the top of the water as appose to deep in there

8. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

young shrimp are identical to their parent so it rules out shrimp babies and you've ruled out damsel larvae, we're running out of options slowly also check dragonfly larvae

the other possibility is it came as an egg on the plants hatched and stayed under the radar until now, young fry don't grow that fast anyway especially danios

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019 at 2:35 AM
  9. BruisesValued MemberMember

I'll try again later trying to catch it..
    Looking from the side, its more clear. From above that's when its more red

10. midnaWell Known MemberMember

it's a fish