shrimp surviving in high ammonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandeeno

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have had my 10 gallon tank for 6 weeks now, and 4 of those weeks with an amano shrimp. The ammonia levels are still off the chart, I guess my nitrogen cycle has not completed yet. They have been off the chart for the past 4 weeks. Despite that, my shrimp is surviving. How is this possible considering what I have read regarding their sensitivity to ammonia?

The tests are being done with liquid droppers.

OP
B

brandeeno

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I have filled out everything I know. The tank started with a goldfish for 1 week, as I unexpectedly received him as a gift. I gave him away, and soon got 2 blood fin tetras. About 2.5 weeks into running, I got massive amounts of algae. I bought a chinese algae eater (i am aware of how aggressive it gets, and what it eats) and 3 amano shrimp. One day later, a shrimp died. 1 week later a 2nd shrimp died. I went out of town for 2.5 days, and when I came back all the algae was gone. Since, I been having petco test my tank every 4-7 days. Ammonia keeps showing as high as the chart allows.

hope this helps, thanks.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You really should get yourself a good quality liquid test kit like the API master test kit.

Ammonia is toxic for aquarium life. You basically have them living in poison. Daily water changes with a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite (such as Prime) keeps your stock from being as damaged by the toxins as the tank is cycling. It prolongs the cycling process, but keeps the fish/shrimp safer.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thank you brandeeno
heres some things I can advise on
get your own test kit...api makes a great one that a liquid master kit and has everything you need to do all your tests..plus you can get 100s of tests from one kit ....most LFS use test strips and they are not accurate and you could have less/more either way on your readings...to know exactly where YOUR tank always stands, is best so they dont try to sell you things you dont need

get either some prime or amquel+ (it will detox the ammonia/nitrites but still keep them available to cycle the tank( and just start doing DAILY partial water changes to get the tank cycled....it will take time as the daily water changes will slow it down...but its needed IMO , to keep the fish and others safe from severe ammonia/nitrite poisoning

or you can look for some tetra safestart....DONT let them talk you into anything else other than safestart...that has a bacteria that can cycle your tank in 7-10 days...if you choose this route, PLEASE read this link first https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.6%

Top Bottom