Shrimp & substrate

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by amyncognito, Aug 3, 2015.

1. amyncognitoNew MemberMember

I have a 1.2 gallon tank with some cherry shrimp and a mystery snail. About once a week I like to gently stir the substrate with a turkey baster and "whoosh" the water over the substrate to kick up gunk (yes, I did just use the word whoosh in a sentence :;banaman

Anyway, the shrimp seem to love it, they come out of their hiding places and get to eating. But I was wondering if this is a good idea to do this. Thoughts?

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

It's a good idea to try to remove that gunk if possible. You won't be able to get it all, but if you can suck out as much as possible with the turkey baster that will help.

Do you have a filter in this tank?

3. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Shrimp and snails have low bioloads. If you're doing water changes, you should be fine imo- if there starts to be many snails, filtering might end up being necessary. The shrimp probably love filtering little organisms out of the water, so as long as you just have inverts in there, I think you're good.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

4. OP
    OP
    a

amyncognitoNew MemberMember

I do have a filter in this tank, so I figure whatever they can't eat from the stirred up substrate will get cleaned up from the filter as well. It's planted with 2 plants, 2 moss balls, and a chunk of java moss and I feed once a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice