Shrimp shell problem

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
He was probably born in my tank. It's been set up as shrimp only for 6 months. Ten gallon. I've has a population crash recently. Richie you said in another post my shrimp had nitrate poisoning, diagnosed from a photo I posted. . They were indeed high. I solved that by using Nitrazorb, nitrates are now at 5. No ammonia or nitrites present, temp is 76. KH 12, GH 8. I top off my tank with RO water, and use it about half and half with tap water for water changes. Some of my shrimp also have that white fungus-looking stuff on their faces that you said they can live with quite happily. I have been removing molts, just took 2 out today and 2 yesterday. Two shrimp died yesterday.

Renaissanista

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like a molt issue.
The shrimp is still alive and may live because the molt issue is in an area that doesn't effect movement badly. Imo

Did you see that article I posted on? From the website you linked?

It said less light slows growth and reduces molting which reduces death.

Maybe lower your light hours until you get the molting issues under control.

Also water changes can induce molting.
I sometimes move my shrimp to another tank if it looks like a molting issue is brewing. Seems to help. My tanks have similar parameters but not exactly the same.

Make sure the white stuff isnt vorticella (edited accidentally typed trichonella...DOH!)
I'm interested to know what sort of white growth on shrimp is not dangerous to their health. I've never heard of this.

A mild salt bath treats vorticella..... and fungus I believe.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What your showing in the photo we had a while back with a member and couldnt work out why, this one only had it on one side and because all the parameters where fine I was positive it would put it self right on the next moult and indeed it did and even now I think that shrimp had a bad moult for some reason, this is the best explanation I can give.
While we're at it let's look back at the vorticellia havd you any new photos

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
The poor guy is dead now unfortunately. I'll try to take a new pic showing the white stuff on the face and post it.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as I know trichonella is found in meat like pigh which csn pass to humans ive never heard of it accociated with shrimp, what you had last time was vorticellia which lives quite happily on shrimp especially in the wild and is harmless

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the other thing thd gills are under those covers and with the two sets being exposed may have lead to its death

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes thats Scutariella as I said last time a 30 second salt dip will knock them off if you want, they lay their eggs on the wall of the covers you shown in the other picture

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
One of the ones I took out yesterday was near death, swimming upside down and lying on its side, but it did not have the spread open plates like this one did.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There was nothing else on the one that died yesterday as I can clearly see the moult ring behind the carapace on the blue wing

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
I didn't see anything..but I should have looked more closely. I'm quite discouraged by them all dying, at one point a few months ago I'm guessing I had like 50 shrimp, tiny ones to adults....so is that the ring of death on this one today?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
blushrimp1 said:
. . . I have been removing molts, just took 2 out today and 2 yesterday. Two shrimp died yesterday.
Why are you taking them out? I've always understood we should leave them for the shrimp to eat.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
Whew I had a long answer going but it disappeared when I tried to post!
Yes, that is why. Disposing of the molts right away helps keep it down to a dull roar, not sure if that would ever eliminate it though.

OP
blushrimp1

blushrimp1

Reaction score
Thanks richie for the name of that product. If I can get my guys to stop dying and begin reproducing again I'm going to get it.
In teading articles about the ring of death. Seems kind of complicated, but it seems since my water is alright, I'm not feeding them properly. I just added mulberry leaves couple of weeks ago, that I pick in the woods by a park. The go to town on those. I have 3 kinds of shrimp pellet foods, 2 are from Japan. They get zucchini, and very occassionally spinach. Haven't tried kale though. I just put in a couple of frozen blood worms for more protein.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get the planaria zero and treat the tank just incase the vorticellia when hatch are affecting their gills im not to sure on this but its worth a go and make sure when you do your water change its not to cold and not to fast,
You could try fenbendazole if you can't get the other

New Threads