Help Shrimp Safe Way Of Reducing Hair Algae?

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anyone have a reliable way of getting rid of hair algae during cycling process? Also needs to be shrimp safe and I want to stop the algae early on. I have a very small amount but it is still unpleasant to look at. I also have plenty of fast growing plants, should I get more?

I also am getting brown algae, which I can get rid of easily by reducing and removing phosphates and silicates. Do plants need phosphates or can I constantly have phosGuard running? And I don’t have room in my filter so can I tie the phosGuard around the intake sponge?

Also I could purchase red ramshorn snails to help out with this. If I dose 1 mL of ammonium hydroxide per week (gets it up to 2ppm ammonia and 0.0105ppm UIA) (will dose more often later in the cycle) could they survive until cycle is done and help with algae reduction?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nikm128 said:
Ramshorn and Nerite snails usually make quick work of soft algae like that, I would get one of those two
Ok thanks. And you are saying that they would survive many ammonia spikes of about 2ppm?

Will snails get rid of algae on hornwort? It seems as though they wouldn’t be able to get to the algae on the hornwort.
Is dosing H2O2 safe for snails?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They might be able to manage that for a little bit, but not long term. The same goes for the shrimp too, they're even more sensitive and I'd be surprised if 1ppm didn't kill them

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nikm128 said:
They might be able to manage that for a little bit, but not long term. The same goes for the shrimp too, they're even more sensitive and I'd be surprised if 1ppm didn't kill them
Ok thanks. In my tank, 2ppm equals about 0.0105 UIA. So isn’t that how to tell what will harm them?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shrimp don’t do well in a cycling tank. Ammonia will kill them. What kind of shrimp? Do you have them allready?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
Shrimp don’t do well in a cycling tank. Ammonia will kill them. What kind of shrimp? Do you have them allready?
No, I know they don’t do well while cycling. I am going to get dwarfs after the cycle

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Ok thanks. And you are saying that they would survive many ammonia spikes of about 2ppm?

Will snails get rid of algae on hornwort? It seems as though they wouldn’t be able to get to the algae on the hornwort.
Is dosing H2O2 safe for snails?
I have ...

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Consider manual removal? ^_^

Otherwise, some species of shrimp have been known to eat hair algae in small amounts if hungry. I know that amanos are one of them.

If the brown algae is diatoms, this will naturally go away on it's own after a couple of weeks as the tank matures. It's very common in new setups to have a diatom bloom.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a cherry shrimp tank and they eat most algae. But shrimp need an established tank to begin. They eat microfilm and algae. So an established tank of a few months old is best.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aussieJJDude said:
Consider manual removal? ^_^

Otherwise, some species of shrimp have been known to eat hair algae in small amounts if hungry. I know that amanos are one of them.

If the brown algae is diatoms, this will naturally go away on it's own after a couple of weeks as the tank matures. It's very common in new setups to have a diatom bloom.
Brown algae will go away?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nikm128 said:
It should go away on its own, might take a little while but it will
Ok because I’ve had it on a tank for over 4 months

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nikm128 said:
It usually doesn't last much longer than that, maybe 6 months top.
Alright thx, but I think that PhosGuard would be worth it, since I have it anyway, and I can just replace the phosphate in my tank

andrearamirezo91 said:
Following this post as I'm looking for a similar solution. Good luck!
Thx, you too

New Threads