Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Shrimp-Safe Snail Trap?

1. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

I'm at a loss about controlling my pest snails, there are so many, and trying to remove them as I see them isn't really keeping the population down, as there are still a ton of eggs all over the plants.

Here's the issue... standard snail trap won't really work, as I have a ton of baby RCS in the tank. Any hole that would be big enough for the snails, is also big enough for the shrimp.

Not overfeeding doesn't really work, as I have to have food in for the other inverts in the tank (so can't just make sure I drop in enough and have it be eaten right away)...

Obviously, anything that would cause the snails to die is out, since that would kill everything else in the tank too.

Assassin is out, since that could also result in danger to other tank inhabitants.

Any ideas?

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Assassins or manual removal, or both, honestly. I've had no problem keeping assassins in shrimp tanks. I guess it's possible that they could get at a shrimp, but if it does happen I would just consider it a sacrifice to darwin.

3. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Good to know. Last time I asked about that pairing on here, I seemed to get mixed opinions. The tank has RCS, 2 mystery snails, and 2 nerites in it. Would the nerites need to be moved (I could move them into another tank, but the mysteries would need to stay)?

Manual removal is what I have been doing, but it's so time consuming, and seems to be effective for a few days and then the tank has 20 million of them again.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure if they mess with nerites. I keep the two together and haven't noticed anything, but I also feed them regularly so it may be keeping them from taking on bigger prey.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Advertising