Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Shrimp Questions

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Bruises, May 20, 2019.

1. Bruises Valued Member Member

Hey everyone,

I have 2 questions for you today..

Firstly, does my red cherry shrimp have a fungal infection? I can try get a better pic but it's being shy.

Secondly, what type of shrimp is that a
    Transparent shrimp?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. richie.p Well Known Member Member

That looks Ellobiopsaide take her out in a jam jar and give more photos asap, the other looks like its throwing back to Wilde type more important get the other shrimp out

3. Bruises Valued Member Member

Shes going crazy in the jar, but managed to get a semi decent pic

Side note, we have lost a few shrimp over the past week but this is the first we've seen of this

Attached Files:

4. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Sorry but that's is Ellobiopsaide, I've been connected to two threads lately with mixed results on treatment and as the facts stand I'm now in agreement with what @david1978 said and that's to euthanize the shrimp, theres still not enough known about it to have a quick cure, it is infectious and at that stage it is well established if others have died tells me they have eaten infected shrimp, I can link you to one treatment that did work after a few weeks if you want the other is still treating weeks down the line, its important to check all your shrimp and quarantine any that's got it, if you want to try treatment you can and I'll link you, but to be honest I do wonder if it's worth it

5. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Have a read of this and try if you want no success guaranteed though as it's gone to far in your case,

6. Bruises Valued Member Member

Thank you so much for your help and quick response.
    We are going to check all the other shrimp closer, to double check.
    What steps are needed now?
    I will be able to read the article later, but in the mean time do you have any tips?

7. richie.p Well Known Member Member

The first and most important is to get all infected shrimp out,then you have to decide which road to take. There are no quick fixes here I'm sorry to say, it's now a case to find out how far advanced it is with the other shrimp, the one you've got is I think so far advanced it's not worth treating unless you want to try, there are a few meds you need to get first

8. Bruises Valued Member Member

Honestly, we've already done the deed with the infected shrimp.
    I cant see anything on the other shrimp on show, there are some hidden ones at the back but I think the rest are thankfully ok. But will be keeping an eye on them anyway.
    What causes this kind of parasite?

9. richie.p Well Known Member Member

If your shrimp were imported from Asia it possible dirty water conditions there as lead to this,don't quot me but I think it can lay dormant in shrimp but only neocaradina, your tank may be clean but something as triggered it so it's worth testing your water just to be safe, if another show signs you will probably have to remove all shrimp and treat the tank with a parasitic treatment for a few days then return them

10. Bruises Valued Member Member

We did a water test last week when we had a few dead shrimp but all parameters were fine.
    Haven't added shrimp for about 2 months, but if it lays dormant then maybe.
    I dont think the shrimp are imported, however I may contact the places and ask them.
    Thank you for the info

11. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Any dead shrimp now take a photo in the water then remove quickly, can you post some pictures of your shrimp and tank just to see if I can see anything, close ups of as many shrimp you can capture

12. Bruises Valued Member Member

Alot of them are hiding at the minute, will take more when I feed them later

Attached Files:

13. richie.p Well Known Member Member

I've just noticed your in the UK and have always said should someone here loose all their shrimp I will restock them free so don't worry there

14. richie.p Well Known Member Member

That's a cracking looking tank you've done a great job there. In the last photo the shrimp at the top looks to have something. It may be the photo may be berried or nothing, see if you can find her again

15. Bruises Valued Member Member

Some more pics of them. They all seem to be fine now to be honest :)
    That's kind of you, although I would never expect anything for free.
    Its actually my partners design, he spent ages growing the green and cycling it before adding shrimp, I dont think I could be that patient. But I agree, it's a lovely design :)

Attached Files:

16. Bruises Valued Member Member

Hello again, just got home from being out of the house all day, and we've got another 2 deaths. Non of them show signs of the infection. I'm wondering if they've had problems trying to shed? Pictures attached of the poor babies :( (same 2 shrimp just in and out of water.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

17. richie.p Well Known Member Member

The picture in the water tell the story and your right it's a failed molt

18. Bruises Valued Member Member

What are the chances of both failing, and I'm assuming the few we lost last week as they looked similar?
    How can I help/stop this?
    Sorry for constantly bothering, you just always have answers

19. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Please dont worry about bothering any of us its what's everyone's here for,
    1st Stability your tank must be 3 months old to safely accommodate a healthy colony, what you are achieving here is a fully cycled tank then giving it chance to settle and get biofilm all over as this is a food source for all shrimp,
    Most common problems are 2nd acclimation your shrimp must be slowly acclimatised to your water, lfs water is probably a lot different to yours and it's important that shrimp adapt otherwise that shocks them and forces them to molt when the shell is not ready to come off 3rd water changes if done to fast this again leads to shock shrimp dont like change at all when it's done fast or sudden, so try and get the new water near enough the same temperature as the tank water and the tds the same . I always use a heater in by bucket while mixing minerals to warm it up. Diet so important to shrimp they rely on you for the right food which they find in the wild which is not in the Aquarium this is so important for them to condition their shell so it comes off nice and easy so they need protein and minerals, protein is given in the way of frozen bloodworm not to much a quarter of a frozen block is enough for the average tank a week, calcium I cant stress how important this is, baby nettles this time of year put in boiling water for a minute just use the top of the nettle, spinach put in boiling water for about 40 seconds put on wooden squar push into substrait, zucchini cut an inch chunk then cut in half take the seeds out as they foul your water and they dont eat them boil for 5 to 7 minutes cool under cold water and drop in the tank, if they show no interest in any of their food take it out after an hour and dont feed for two days then try again, you can also try kale, cooked broccoli, mushrooms uncooked, bactor AE will increase the youngs survival rate and puts biofilm all over the tank, dose sparingly once a week until you have young then twice weekly, let me know if you want me to show you how to prep any of these and I'll do it in pictures for you, I've added a photo of what you are looking for when feeding

Attached Files:

20. Bruises Valued Member Member

Thank you so much for above, that's very helpful info.
    I didn't actually realise Bloodworm were ok to feed the shrimp, is it best to thaw it out first or just pop a quarter straight in?
    If you have pictures, feel free to share :D