Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by JLeeM, Aug 2, 2017.

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

Simple question today.

What is going on with this Ghost Shrimp? I've never seen this before. Some of them are turning different color tints. I believe due to what area of algae they graze on. This is the only one like this though. IMG_20170802_143135547_HDR.jpg

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

Milking ghost shrimp can result from iodine deficiency, post/pre molting, or age.
    You can add another decoration for it to hide to molt in case it is a molting problem whereby the other shrimps for some reason are not letting it hide,
    or you can feed it iodine (like unsalted seaweed or some other healthier shrimps old molt)

3. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

There's plenty of old skins in the bottom, and it only has 5 shrimp companions in a 20 long. So maybe it's iodine deficiency. Don't have anything for that unfortunately. So maybe it'll sort it out itself.

4. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

So what's up with these guys?
    IMG_20170805_124633758_HDR.jpg

One turning blueish, and one brown? On top of the picture of the other one? Oh, and the brown one stays brown. It's not just because it's on the log decoration. I've also watched it stay brown as it sheds a clear shell.

5. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I had one that looked just like that. I was told it was either a difficult molt or a bacterial infection. A liquid iodine supplement was recommended but I couldn't justify a $9 bottle for a $.39 shrimp, as bad as that sounds. I just let him do his thing, he kept being active and eating. Seemed happy enough. Lasted about 2 more months I think. Then another one started turning white too so I ended up euthanizing both of them.

6. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

That was my thoughts exactly on the iodine. My white one died couple days ago. The brown one and blue tinted one are still going strong though. Still don't know what's going on with them.

7. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Bummer! I have one that's kind of turning blue, and another one that's getting darker, almost blends in with the black sand now. It's gotta be something they're eating. Honestly though I'm getting a bit fed up with how easily they die. I know it's not their fault, poor things are treated so badly, but I'm considering just switching to Amano shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice