Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Ovenmitts, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Ovenmitts

Ovenmitts Valued Member Member

Are Ghost, Amano and Bamboo shrimp all compatible? And can any of these go with a German Ram? (Yes, I still have not put anything with those rams!! :D)

2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I've kept ghosts with both and not had any problems. better check with EricV though.

EDIT: thats with both kinds of shrimp. as for the ram i have no idea.

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I don't like ghosts with other species of shrimp, only because I once saw ghost shrimp attacking some Amanos.

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Ghosts tend to be a tad aggressive. I wish I could have RCS, but I've heard the ghosts will definitely attack them :/

I don't know about compatibility with rams, though. I have a peaceful community tank with fish of all sizes, and the ghosts don't bother any of them, if that's any help.

5. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Ghosts willeat others, but thats mostly in smaller tanks. Bigger tanks reduce likelyhood, just like it would with fish.

6. OP
    OP
    Ovenmitts

I have ghosts and bamboo in my 55G right now, and I have never seen the ghosts bother the bamboo. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course. But my LFS just got Amano and I haven't seen them there before, so I wanted to get some. My ghosts are slowly dying off, so maybe I will just wait until they are all gone. Meanwhile, my rams can stay lonely in the 30G!

7. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Thats what i mean, a 55 is what i would consider a pretty large tank, for shrimp :)
    mine are no prob in my 55 either, but in smaller tanks i have heard of them cornering other critters.

8. OP
    OP
    Ovenmitts

So do you think I could put the Amano in with them? In the 55G?

9. E

I must of missed it, but why don't you want to put the amanos in with the lonely rams? Are the ghosts are in a different tank. I would get them while you can.

10. OP
    OP
    Ovenmitts

That is a possibility, but I don't know if the rams will eat them or if they can take the ram temperature. That is one of the questions I posed in the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  11. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Reading along in this thread, just thought I'd throw something in.
    Don't both bamboo and amano shrimp get much bigger than ghost shrimp? I thought they did which is why I'm wondering how ghosts would pick on them, I figured it would be the ghosts being picked on.

12. M

MichaelM Valued Member Member

I think the rams would be fine with bamboos not sure about the amanos

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. E

What temp is the ram tank set at?

14. OP
    OP
    Ovenmitts

Ram tank set at around 80-82.

15. E

Amano shrimp are very docile, ghost shrimp will hunt them down.

16. OP
    OP
    Ovenmitts

And considering ghost are 99cents and Amano are $5.99...

17. E

Oh that's fine, & and I would't worry about the shrimp becoming a tasty entree.

18. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Amano and ghost shrimp are fine together. Bamboo shrimp are difficult to feed due to the fact; that they need a strong current and debris in the water.
    I keep amano and ghost together in with a ram and allot of other company 0 issues .

19. T

Thefishgeek33 Valued Member Member

I have some amano and ghost shrimp, never had nor seen any kind of Aggression..

"I am not what has happened to me, I am who I choose to become"
    "Only God Can Judge Me"

20. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i had amanos and ghosts and had no problems. i had a couple cherries in there too, but they were always hiding from the ghosts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice