Shrimp Qt How To

1. SLeroux

SLeroux Valued Member Member

I am thinking of getting some ammano shrimp for my 60G. I have a 10G QT tank set up with some tetras and Platy fry right now that should be empty in a week or two. The only things in the tank are one small cave and three plastic plants. Do shrimp need a substrate while in QT?

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

It would be helpful for them to have a substrate because their little feet can't always grab on to the glass, at least it seems that way with amanos. I've seen cherry shrimp stick to the side of the aquarium, but my amano can kind of do that but the swimmerets are always moving. If you could put in just a few rocks or something it would be better, but technically it's probably not necessary. They will need to be able to graze, so maybe if you have a part of a plant or dead leaf or something they would like to eat the little stuff that lives on it.

3. OP
    OP
    SLeroux

Very helpful! Thank you. I can put in a couple leaves from my 60G in there and will look to get some rocks.

4. Rtessy

Of course! And they'd even like dead leaves, and just a few rocks here and there so they have a place they can actually hold on to. They're really funny to watch, and they will grab food pellets and run off, even from large fish, it's really funny.

5. OP
    OP
    SLeroux

Awe they sound so cute! Can't wait to get them. I'll put one of my four moss balls in there too.

6. Rtessy

That's a great choice! Shrimp love moss balls because of all the stuff that gets in them, there was someone just earlier today who posted a picture of all ten of their amanos on a single moss ball.

7. OP
    OP
    SLeroux

One more question! Do you need to QT shrimp for the same amount of time as fish? 3 - 4 weeks?

8. Rtessy

I would, and there are very visible signs of parasites like scutariella or vorticella, and being amanos, many bacterial infections can be seen as the shrimp will become cloudy inside (they may also become somewhat cloudy before a most). If you end up having a lot of unexplained deaths (eg, no ammonia/nitrite and nitrates under 20, gH, kH and TDS high enough for molting but not too high to make the shell too hard to molt off) then it's going to be some kind of bacterial infection. Fungus is also rather visible, as are leeches. Most parasites will show in the first week, but bacterial infections can take a bit longer to rear their ugly heads.