Shrimp problem?

Nate32

My shrimp have been in the tank for about a week now minus the amanos, they've been in for well over a month. I've noticed several fresh molts, haven't found any bodies and despite the vast amount of hiding places I can usually spot 7-12 cherry shrimp(I know they're not all red) at a time. I stocked 15 initially and they've been feasting on diatoms and exploring the tank. I haven't seen any abnormal behavior but did notice what appears to be a scar or something on one of my yellow shrimp. These were the best pics I could get with my phone. It's on one of the bigger shrimp I got, not sure if I should worry about it or not because the shrimp is actively feeding and doesn't seem to be showing any other signs of illness. I'm currently doing the parameter tests right now. I did cut back a bit on my CO2 and ferts this week since the shrimp are new and I didn't want to shock them with higher dosing right away. Any input would be helpful as I'm new to shrimp. My amanos have been thriving though and their molts have been good. I didn't lose any amanos to acclimation either, 2 did decide to crawl out of the tank which I heard is kinda common. The remaining three look really healthy.
20210417_171840.jpg

20210417_171836.jpg

20210417_171834.jpg

It gave me a slightly better angle the spot I'm referring to is right where the tail meets the carapace. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the anatomy or spelling.
20 gallon tank
Temp at 75
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20 maybe a shade lighter
Calcium test APA 5 drops
Gh 10-11
Kh 8
Water change 50 percent on Sundays

No meds in tank, panacur dosed a few weeks ago though

Amanos, cherry shrimp, assassin and bladder snails in tank

Feed shrimp cuisine once or twice a week. Cherry shrimp haven't figured out the feed dish yet amanos get 1-2 pellets each

Well planted with niloc g diy EI dosing

Should I test phosphate as well it's usually around 0-.5

Hamoncan

I'm no expert, but could it be unfertilized eggs on the saddle you're seeing?

richiep

It looks like that one as been attacked and a chunk as been taken out where the body meet the carapace, or its been squashed at some point, either way when it moults the shell will renew itself, there's nothing you can do to help.
Your water perameters are fine
I would reduce your water changes to 25% at the most, I do 15% on my shrimp tanks

Nate32

richiep said:
It looks like that one as been attacked and a chunk as been taken out where the body meet the carapace, or its been squashed at some point, either way when it moults the shell will renew itself, there's nothing you can do to help.
Your water perameters are fine
I would reduce your water changes to 25% at the most, I do 15% on my shrimp tanks
Thanks. I ran some activated carbon last night just in case something got in the water. I know it will take out some parts of the ferts but at least today is water change (reset) day. I'll do a 25 percent water change twice on Sundays one in morning one in evening. I think I'll order some shrimp tank specific ferts so I can reduce to a 25 percent water change on Sunday. I haven't seen the shrimp since last night but most usually hide for couple hours after the lights kick on before they come back out to graze. I'm amazed at how fast they've been cleaning the diatoms off my plants. I'll probably start feeding some veggies by the end of the week.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom