Shrimp Population Control? Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Fancyfins, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Fancyfins

Fancyfins Valued Member Member

Hello there! I’m pretty close to moving my betta from his 3.5 gallon prison to a planted ten gallon tank, and I’ve gotten many suggestions on turning my 3.5 gallon into a nice shrimp tank. It’s relatively small, and I would probably put only four or five in there. But how would I control the population so that I wouldn’t have millions of shrimp? Only males or only females? Moving the eggs? Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Well, what species of shrimp do you have in mind?

I will first say that you cannot remove shrimp eggs as they are attached to the females until they hatch.

3. OP
    OP
    Fancyfins

Probably RCS. I love their color!

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

You can easily keep 20 cherries in a 3.5gal so long as you keep up with water changes.

Cherries are always in demand so when they breed you can either toss some in with the betta where they may get eaten or sell/trade in some to a per store.

I’ve got cherries in 3 tanks all with other fish, including bettas, and they’re breeding just fine. I’m sure some are getting eaten but not all. Cherries only live about a year and a half so its nice to have them breed and replace themselves.

5. OP
    OP
    Fancyfins

Oh, okay. I was planning on putting some shrimp into my bettas tank later on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice