Shrimp Poop!

1. Kat84

Kat84 New Member Member

Hi guys :) I've done a lot of research on this and can't find an answer.

I have a 50 litre non-fish tank, there are 2 ADF's, a bamboo shrimp, 4 amano shrimp, a nerite snail and MTS. I use sand with a small amount of gravel scattered and have plenty of live plants and driftwood. Everything is fine and everyone seems happy; they've been in there for a year+.

My only concern is that I change the water (10-15%) 2-3 times per week due to the shrimp poop! It gets everywhere but I am concerned about the amount of nutrition and beneficial bacteria I am removing with so many water changes.

How can I remove the poop without changing the water so frequently? I am reluctant to use under gravel filters due to the MTS, he loves to burrow so I can't always see him and would worry about him getting stuck or caught by the filter.

To do the water changes I use a syphon/bucket which is good at vacuuming the poop but is there an alternative method?

I've attached a picture of the amount of shrimp poop 1 day after a water change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

What type of filter do you use? It's important to note that BB live in your filter media, not the water. As long as you treat the water properly prior to adding, it's possible to do up to a 100% water change without hurting your cycle, and many pros do! Going by your estimates, you're doing max 45% changes each week--that's no problem :)

3. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

Look up Eheim quick vac pro... I just got one, haven't tried it yet, but I'll let u know how it works when I get the chance (hand injury (stitches), so I'm not able to mess with my aquariums at the moment... may be a few more days) it allows you to siphon out detritus w/o taking water out

4. OP
    OP
    Kat84

Kat84 New Member Member

Thank you kihlkid, that's reassuring! I use a Fluval U2.

Sorry to hear about your hand Nightshade, hope it heals soon! Thank you for the recommendation, I'll take a look :)