Shrimp/pleco Question

HamSnacks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Recently changed up my 36 Gallon to a Shrimp Tank with 2 BN Plecos.

Woke up to an ugly looking tank, I'm assuming the shrimp or the Plecos are "chewing" the Korean Root into little pieces.

Is there a purpose for it?
Asking just cause I'd prefer to vacuum it all up but do they use it for anything?

Attached pictures, please ignore the plants lol, switched to LED and no fertilizer, not working too well.

Y9br2yc.jpg

61ItDXL.jpg

SCEp0L7.jpg

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s probably the BNs eating the wood.

I would never keep BNs with shrimp. It would be like living in the same room as a tank (the military kind). Even if it didn’t shoot you, you’d get injured just by it moving about, especially all night. And plecs aren’t great at respecting smaller lifeforms...

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it’s the plecos I’ve read that they chew things like that when they are hungry(specifically for fiber), but I don’t know your feeding schedule or anything
But to answer your question I believe there would be no harm in vacuuming it up.
Plecos like caves also but perhaps that’s in the future plan.
As long as your breeding the shrimp and keeping a colony you shouldn’t really notice any trouble with the plecos, yeah they will eat a few here or there but you’ll have hundreds and hundreds of shrimp if they breed in there and unless your gonna sell them you need some population control

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom