Shrimp Pellet Question

Komarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I have a 55gal community tank that I'm considering adding a couple of BN plecos. One dietary suggestion I've seen repeatedly is shrimp pellets. I have several each amano and cherry shrimp in the tank. If I feed the pleco's shrimp pellets, am I going to give them a taste for shrimp? Put more directly: will feeding BN plecos shrimp pellets increase the likelihood of aggression towards the shrimp in the tank?
Thanks

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No there should be plenty of aggression already according to the internet XD

I have one albino bristlenose with some shrimp in a 30 g
And haven’t seen him do anything to the shrimp and they are often right next to him. He does startle them when he moves though and plecos like their space so they will kind of bull other creatures off of their turf.

Just make sure you get the pleco’s their veggies since he’ll be getting protein from shrimp pellets and if omnivores eat to much of one or the other they tend to have digestive issues, (at least in my experience) I mostly give mine algea pellets for a “veggie” but sometimes I use actual vegetables like zucchini and cucumber.

And just as a note, no question asked before the purchase of a fish is a dumb one.
And, If you’ve already purchased the fish, the question is only dumb if you don’t ask it

Komarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pat93, The tank is planted and has some driftwood so there's plenty of places for algae to grow. I'm planning on also feeding veggies/algae tabs for a balanced diet. I just wasn't sure if I was going to train the plecos for "Hmm, those little guys smell like dinner." Thank you very much for the feedback.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom