Help Shrimp Partial Molt

lyss

Reaction score
I found the part that had been able to molt which was the top half. So it’s head has been cleared, but the tail still has, I guess, the molting on it. The shrimp is unable to swim high above the substrate and looks to be struggling to walk. Moves just as quick but very awkwardly. I attached some very poor pictures, but you’re able to see the portion that’s still attached. I’ve read that shrimp can die from being unable to molt, is there a chance my shrimp will die? Can I help it? Will it molt off at some point soon?
IMG_5193.jpg
IMG_5192.jpg

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its hard to say. If shes able to get her swimmerets moving again, she may be ok, and the other half of the molt may work its way off. What are your GH parameters? Your water could be a hair too hard. Its also possible there could be something nutritionwise that shes not getting.

lyss

Reaction score
Its hard to say. If shes able to get her swimmerets moving again, she may be ok, and the other half of the molt may work its way off. What are your GH parameters? Your water could be a hair too hard. Its also possible there could be something nutritionwise that shes not getting.
She’s able to move them when standing on something but unable to swim long/ keep herself afloat. The swimmerets seem to not fully close, but still move back and forth. Good sign?
As for gh, I don’t have the tests for it yet. But my ph looks to be 6.6-6.8. Little low. I tend to have it at 7

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As long as she can eat, hopefully the next molt will correct the problem. It happens on occassion.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’d recommend get an API GH test kit as soon as you can. It could help you prevent future molt issues. Yellow Neos are more fragile to begin with, but if you can get the sweet spot, you’ll have a booming healthy colony. As long as she survives the next few days or so, the remaining molt that’s stuck may very well dissolve away. Going forward though you should try to diagnose why she had a hard time molting. It’s almost always either lack of something in the diet, or that the water is too hard.

lyss

Reaction score
I’d recommend get an API GH test kit as soon as you can. It could help you prevent future molt issues. Yellow Neos are more fragile to begin with, but if you can get the sweet spot, you’ll have a booming healthy colony. As long as she survives the next few days or so, the remaining molt that’s stuck may very well dissolve away. Going forward though you should try to diagnose why she had a hard time molting. It’s almost always either lack of something in the diet, or that the water is too hard.
Thanks for the help, I put an order in for the test kit so that should arrive very soon. She seems to be alright currently, moving a bit better but still going to keep a close eye. Thanks again

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the help, I put an order in for the test kit so that should arrive very soon. She seems to be alright currently, moving a bit better but still going to keep a close eye. Thanks again
Sure thing! She’s a gorgeous lady, hope she makes a full recovery. Later down the road if you get a good colony going and decide to sell, I’d probably be in the market for some yellow shrimps.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom