Shrimp Overload!

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
7EA7D47E-463D-4187-B2A3-28EB03EE40D4.jpeg
F18002C5-E178-46BC-8EE7-E18940B74073.jpeg
I’m beginning to think that someone is breaking into my home at night and dumping shrimp into my tank....I feel like 100 more appear each day!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WTFish? said:
5gallon! Lol, I started with 6 in November.
Well, since shrimp have very small bioloads, you are fine with many.
If you don't want as much, or when they breed too quickly, you could sell some to your LFS.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Well, since shrimp have very small bioloads, you are fine with many.
If you don't want as much, or when they breed too quickly, you could sell some to your LFS.
Yes, I’ve called my LFS and will meet with them soon, they sound interested but obviously need to see my set up, water etc. I figure if they can charge 5.99 per shrimp then they can pay me at least 1.50. Lol

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
phantom said:
any tips to start a large colony?
Well, this is my first shrimp tank. In the beginning I put in 22, within two weeks I was down to 7! I learned they came from crazy soft water and my water is like 8. I started doing half RO water for a few months with every water change. The 6-7 adults started breeding so I slowly reduced the amount of RO for a few weeks leading up to using only tap again so that the babies will be use to my tap, lost a few more adults but the shrimplets lived, thrived, bred etc...I also started adding bacter ae on around my second or third generation, now they won’t stop. My temp is 78. I feed hikari crab cuisine, bloodworm pellets, fish flakes (I have ember tetras too) and occasional squash and peas. I don’t have an exact science as it was all trial and error but hope that helps

Sorry for the essay, lol

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice work! Those look like some happy shrimp.

Are you culling at all to keep up the color line?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dakotablue said:
Nice work! Those look like some happy shrimp.

Are you culling at all to keep up the color line?
I’ve given a few away, but not really culling yet, I really should though I suppose.

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
WTFish? said:
View attachment 433889 View attachment 433888 I’m beginning to think that someone is breaking into my home at night and dumping shrimp into my tank....I feel like 100 more appear each day!
I love shrimps. I have a few in my salwater tank. I have keept blue tiger shrimp. They can adapt very quickly. I wish when i still had my freshwater shrimps that they would show color like yours are, pretty and healthy. Instead mines where gray-ish. How do you keep shrimps colorful.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emil Jóhann said:
I love shrimps. I have a few in my salwater tank. I have keept blue tiger shrimp. They can adapt very quickly. I wish when i still had my freshwater shrimps that they would show color like yours are, pretty and healthy. Instead mines where gray-ish. How do you keep shrimps colorful.
I’m so sorry I just saw this! And idk, they just keep their color so far, fingers crossed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom