Shrimp or Fry Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Livielupop, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

So right now I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 zebra danios and 3 platies +3 young platy fry. I'm for sure getting a 29 gallon within this month. most likely next week. Anyways I've been thinking of what to do with my 10 gallon after I move all the fish to the 29.
    At first I was sold on making it a fry tank for my fry to grow up in.
    Now I've started thinking about shrimp and read a bit about them. So part of me thinks of just making the 10 gallon a fabulous shrimp colony tank and another part of my thinks about just having them live in the new 29 gallon with my fish.
    What got me thinking about this is when I was thinking about how I would stock my new 29 gallon with the fish I already have. I was thinking of going with something different besides platies. I looked at dwarf gouramis, chiclids, mollies and tetras. While I looked at these different fish, I read that mollies would need more space, tetras need to be groups of 6+, and chiclids and gouramis were a bit aggressive. All of this gave me the impression that maybe I should just keep my lovely peaceful platy ways. So I started thinking about shrimp and figured out they do great alone in a 10 gallon.
    Another thought that got me leaning towards the shrimp tank was that I thought about how difficult it would be to continuously move fish from the 29 to the "fry tank."
    So what should I do make the 10 gallon a shrimp tank or a fry tank? Is a fry tank really necessary? Any ideas on different fish to stock my 29 with the fish I already have?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes a fry tank is necessary if you want them to live. The parents eat their own fry...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Hmm maybe I should get another 10 then cause I kind of really want a shrimp tank. Could the fry and shrimp live simultaneously?

4. Dom90

It really depends on the personality of the fry I guess.. I think @Bijou88 can help you out with that, i'm no expert. Never had shrimp before.
    Geoff, I hit the milestone, do I get a prize???

5. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

You get an "attaboy."

Attaboy!

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I've never had shrimp either, lol. I think the fry would eventually (when the fry are big enough) try to eat any baby shrimp but adults should be fine with them.

7. Dom90

Or the other way around, what if the shrimp eat the fry? Or could that not happen?

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I don't think that's as much of an issue, unless the fry are sick they should easily be able to outrun a shrimp. Platy fry are crazy fast! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice