Shrimp or betta fish?

Jason1080

Reaction score
I have had my betta fish for more than a month and his tank is cycled. I recently ordered some red cherry shrimp and they will be arriving soon, yet I fear my betta is going to eat them so I am going to buy another tank. Should I keep my betta in the cycled tank (he has only recently fought off finrot and is recovering) and take out some gravel, all the java moss and moss balls and place them into the tank for the shrimp, or should I place my betta in the uncycled tank and place some gravel, some java moss and some moss balls in that aquarium? Or shoud I simply buy some Seachem Prime and dose the uncycled tank with it? Or do you maybe have a suggestion?

bocco

Reaction score
I'd reccomend transfering the betta to the uncycled one if the water waited for some time. The betta will be ok in the uncycled one but it might be deadly for the shrimps.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would place the shrimp in the cycled tank. Move the betta to a new tank but only feed 1 pellet every other day (trust me he’ll be ok). Prime is a water conditioner and will not cycle your tank. It is my go to de-chlorinator, although it will bind ammonia and nitrites making them temporarily less toxic they can only bind for so long before converting back. I also don’t see a need to you to move over any gravel, what type of filter do you have? I’d move over bio media as it is more porous than gravel

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adding to what StarGirl15 said, they also need plenty of microfauna to graze on.

OP
J

Jason1080

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies! My current tank is 22l (6 gallons) and is not planted, it has had 5 moss balls for a while but today I added java moss (40grams of it). I will move my betta to the other tank which is 58l, should I move the moss balls over to the uncycled tank and do daily water changes?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jason1080 said:
Thank you for all of the replies! My current tank is 22l (6 gallons) and is not planted, it has had 5 moss balls for a while but today I added java moss (40 gallon of it). I will move my betta to the other tank which is 58l, should I move the moss balls over to the uncycled tank and do daily water changes?
I would move the moss balls if you have all of the java moss in the 6. Keep an eye on the ammonia and use Prime to protect him.

OP
J

Jason1080

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
I would move the moss balls if you have all of the java moss in the 6. Keep an eye on the ammonia and use Prime to protect him.
I also have TetraSafeStart which is just bacteria in a bottle to speed up the cycle, do you think that is fine to use with Prime?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Absolutely. Try to keep ammonia under 1ppm and the prime will keep the fish safe.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom