Shrimp Nano Build

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I have a tank for fry and once they are out I am turning it to shrimp tank. I have talked about this alot but what will I need? I have the following. I have no light! what should I buy as a light?

I want a low tech Heavily planted with lots of moss and stuff like duckweed.

Tank
Filter
Heater
Substrate (Gravel- sand mix)
Driftwood (please take some )

Stuff I can put in

Possible Tank Mates

Cories?? (I thought I heard someone say its possible)

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What size tank? Cories need at least a 20g, and if you want every single shrimp to survive (shrimplets included) I'd skip the fish and do only snails. But not mystery snails, I love those dudes but they'll eat sick shrimp. For the filter, a sponge filter is the safest. I have some crazy small $10 light that I got off of Amazon, and my Java Moss and subwassertang are growing way too much in my 10g. Good plant picks also, they'll survive about anything.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
What size tank? Cories need at least a 20g, and if you want every single shrimp to survive (shrimplets included) I'd skip the fish and do only snails. But not mystery snails, I love those dudes but they'll eat sick shrimp. For the filter, a sponge filter is the safest. I have some crazy small $10 light that I got off of Amazon, and my Java Moss and subwassertang are growing way too much in my 10g. Good plant picks also, they'll survive about anything.
Yea, I knew the tankmates would be a stretch.

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aqua Hands said:
Yea, I don't have the money for a RODI Machine
Eh that’s no big deal, just checking with the TDS to be consistent is best thing.
What kind of shrimp do you plan on getting by the way?

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I don't know yet. Im planning to breed them. I want to "sell" but its not about profit. I just wanna have fun!.

6929223077_f93664577c.jpg

What about something like that? then have duckweed but keep it toward back? I know someone on here has a 5g thats absolutely packed with plants and shrimp. I want to either have a junglish look ore a clean stoney asian waterfall thingy. I know im bad at explaining my thoughts. I'll make a draw up later. I'm going to start a shopping list on decor. By the way I'm really good at hiding the ugly stuff everything needs, like a co2 reactor (not really wanting to get co2)
TexasDomer said:
I don't think you need a TDS meter, especially if you're only keeping cherry shrimp. Alder cones and cholla wood are option too. Any decor would do.
dwarfpufferlover said:
Eh that’s no big deal, just checking with the TDS to be consistent is best thing.
What kind of shrimp do you plan on getting by the way?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You don't need to use CO2 to have a beautifully planted tank, just don't use any high light plants or true carpeting plants.

Duckweed will take over the top, so add it only if you don't mind it taking over.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
You don't need to use CO2 to have a beautifully planted tank, just don't use any high light plants or true carpeting plants.

Duckweed will take over the top, so add it only if you don't mind it taking over.
I would love for it to take over the top! I love the look of it. That and I am using a "divider " aka a floating feeding ring. Also im sure the shrimp will enjoy eating what the roots catch.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not much, but I have been doing some research myself.

What's your budget for a CO2 system?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it were me, I'd wait on the CO2 setup (it's not necessary for a beautifully planted tank) and instead use that money towards an awesome SW tank!

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
If it were me, I'd wait on the CO2 setup (it's not necessary for a beautifully planted tank) and instead use that money towards an awesome SW tank!
Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom