Question Shrimp Molting, shell.

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,
I recently bought a shrimp on a whim when I was browsing my LFS to add to my 10 Gallon, Guppy, Platy tank. I didn't do any research before the purchase and have been very lucky that my aquarium keeping knowledge and the knowledge from the store owner has allowed me to see this shrimp excel in her (female; identified by the store owner) new home. Since then I have done some research that will be beneficial to a long shrimp life but some specific questions were not found through search engines.

My shrimp is alive and well and spends most of it's day hiding, coming out periodically to feed on algae. Perhaps I can describe what it looks like to help you positively identify it's species.

At the pet store, the shrimp was translucent, but after a few days to a week in my 10 gallon tank, it has become slightly red, or pink. (I wish I could take a photo) I assume it's a Ghost Shrimp, despite it's slightly red coloring. Is it possible for Ghost Shrimp to have any color? Could my "Omega One: Super Color Flakes" attribute to the color?

Today, I found that my shrimp had molted recently, to my surprise, as I didn't know it would do that. A white shell laid in the corner of the tank, fearing it was a dead fish or shrimp, I used my aquarium dedicated turkey baster (wonderful aquarium tool) to lift the shell up and caught it with a small net.

Now that the shell is out of the tank I could easily throw it away, but if I left it in the tank would it decay and disappear or be beneficial to leave it in? I have many tiny, empty, snail shells littering my 30 Gallon Tiger Barb that don't seem to decay and just sit there (adding to the decor). If my Shrimp were to molt again, I might not find the shell until a tank cleaning, so you can see why I want to know if it's a concern.

Thank you for your time reading my post, and hopefully you can provide me with some experienced knowledge and help me find answers to my questions.

rohitsingh_81

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,

I am as well new to Shrimps (have 1 Yamato & 1 Blue Tiger shrimp) but as far as I have read about them, it is better to leave the shell inside the tank. Reason-being, Shrimp would eat its shell and extract useful minerals from the same.

My Blue tiger shrimp molted the same day when I brought him. And I found him eating his shell later.

Thanks

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore.
I can't help you identify the variety of shrimp, but Rohit it right - leave the shell inside the tank, as it is nutrition for them.
You don't say in your aquarium info how many fish you have in that tank, but if it isn't already overstocked, you can probably get a few more shrimp if you want. They have very low bioload. Make sure there are caves and plants to hide in.

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the quick replies. I left the shell in the tank, it would be interesting if I could see the shrimp actually nibbling at it.
I might consider getting a couple more shrimp but I will need to add some caves or more cover first.
I'll do my best and try to get a clean photo to help ID the species, I'll also try and see if my LFS might know.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Just let him eat his shell, that's what my Amano shrimp do. It helps them regain the calcium they lost after molting.

Edit: It's probably a red cherry shrimp (Neocardina heteropoda). They take a while to color up when first added to a tank.

Last edited:

Morgoth

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

I have indeed gone back to my LFS and picked up a couple more Shrimp. I have also found out the name of the species and understand my confusion. The written label referred to the Shrimp as Yamato, and the species information resources I used referred to the Shrimp as Amano.

The names are similar, but offered me some confusion because the only thing I remembered from the store when I returned home was that it may or may not have started with a Y.

Thanks again for all your help!

/edit: fixed spelling.

Last edited:

rohitsingh_81

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,

Yamato Shrimp aka Amano Shrimp are same. They are found in Yamato River of Japan........... Takashi Amano first discovered them and introduced them in Aquarium business........thus named Amano shrimp now.

Cheers!!

Bungy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its already been said but do leave the molts in the tank, this provides a valuable source of calcium for the growing shrimp to develop its new exoskeleton. Just for info - Red Cherry Shrimp when kept in the correct conditions should look like these of mine which I breed (among others)

Bungy

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom