Shrimp Molt Or Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeegansTropiks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 12 gallon set up with a betta and some ember tetras along with 4 Alamo shrimp.

3 have been doing fine and seen around the aquarium with one being very skittish of other fish.
All had been fine for a week and they are eating a lot of algae which I am starting to notice.

However there is a body in my aquarium and it is an Amano shrimp.
I’ve never had shrimp so I don’t know if this is the molt or if my betta has decided to kill the shrimp.

Please help I don’t know what it is, I will have a picture provided.

If it is a molt do I remove it? Does it create ammonia or?

Thank you.

Attachments

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Definitely remove it ASAP. Do you still see 4 shrimp or just 3? Sometimes betta’s do fine with fish but not shrimp/snails and vis versus.

bigrobot9

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like a molt to me. Dead shrimp will turn opaque white.

I've only kept ghost shrimp so someone please correct me if it is different for amanos but the molt will usually be gone in a day or two because it gets eaten by the shrimp. If none eat it then I take it out.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like a molt. Dead ones, as mentioned before, turn white, even pinkish and you can see "meat". In this case, it looks like just the exoskeleton. I never remove them. They get eaten. If not, I don't think they affect the parameters at all.

KeegansTropiks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Definitely remove it ASAP. Do you still see 4 shrimp or just 3? Sometimes betta’s do fine with fish but not shrimp/snails and vis versus.
Okay will do. I see 2 but I have heaps of hiding places which they can hide in so I’m not sure.
Betta does not chase them so I think it’s molt.

Thank
It looks like a molt to me. Dead shrimp will turn opaque white.

I've only kept ghost shrimp so someone please correct me if it is different for amanos but the molt will usually be gone in a day or two because it gets eaten by the shrimp. If none eat it then I take it out.
you for reply. I agree it looks like molt because I see no eyes or anything.

Looks like a molt. Dead ones, as mentioned before, turn white, even pinkish and you can see "meat". In this case, it looks like just the exoskeleton. I never remove them. They get eaten. If not, I don't think they affect the parameters at all.
Thank you for you reply. It is still very transparent which makes me think it’s molt. Helped a lot mate. Cheers.

itsEmma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, yes that's definitely a molt-a sign that your shrimp are healthy as they molt in order to grow.
As everyone's mentioned, leave it in the tank as they will eat it as the molts contain calcium and other 'goodies'.
Just a final way to reassure you that it's not a body, use aquascaping tweezers/a stick to created a bit of turbulence near it, a molt is as light as a feather and will float around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 29 65.9%

Top Bottom