Shrimp Loves Filter Output?

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by jay3, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jay3

jay3Valued MemberMember

I have a bamboo shrimp in my 15G. For the past month, he’s been sitting in the filter output. He can move when he wants to as well. He’s alive and seems perfectly healthy.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Christian7425

Christian7425New MemberMember

Ive personally haven't owned shrimp, getting some in a couple months, but I'm sure he's just catching leftover food from the output.

3. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Bamboo are filter feeders. They are specifically adapted to feed off particles in the current. It is perfectly natural, in fact, it is more concerning if it would be eating off the substrate a lot. They prefer to have a lot of flow and need food in the water column so make sure that you are providing it with that. Cheers!

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

So don’t stick them with a betta. :) (was thinking about getting one for said betta tank)

5. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Ya, the betta would be blown around like a leaf lol:p

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I just replaced my filter in the shrimp tank so that he wouldn’t get tossed around. :)

7. OP
    OP
    jay3

jay3Valued MemberMember

Thank you!

8. Claygill

ClaygillNew MemberMember

I have 4 in a 75 gallon planted community tank. Most of the time they hang out in the flow from a wave maker on the bottom hanging on to pieces of driftwood. I feed them baby shrimp food with a syringe and hose and a variety of Repashy foods the same way along with occasionally disturbing some of the substrate which makes them fan like crazy.