Shrimp lost eye?!

1. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Like my aquarium luck couldn't get any better...

Is his eye missing?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

It does look like he's missing an eye.

3. peregrine

peregrine Member Member

Yup that does look like you have a one eyed shrimp...He should be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Is the white a fungus or is it just from the injury?
    I'm shocked because it's just RCS in this tank. No idea how it happened.
    [​IMG]

5. A

Aquatica88 Member Member

Have you had him for a while and you just noticed the eye was missing now, or did you get him from the LFS like that? Either way, just keep the water clean/do regular water changes and it should heal if it just happened.

6. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

I just got 5 new shrimp last Thursday but he was not in that batch. I got that one maybe a month or two ago? I don't recall any shrimp having only 1 eye. So i think its a recent injury.

7. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

I had an amano shrimp that lost an eye from an aggressive betta. He's now affectionately known as Popeye :) He's been in the tank for 4 months without the eye and is doing great! In fact, he's much more lively than a lot of my shrimp. I assume that the white area is just part of the injury. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shrimp are tough little guys

8. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

No way i have a 1 eyed cory named popeye! I bought him that way a few weeks ago. They gave a 20% discount for him.

9. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Haha I thinks the name is adorable! And I'm glad you bought him! Most fish do totally fine with just one eye. :)

10. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

That's adorable! I'll have to come up with a name that's punny.
    I'm just worried because I think one of my other shrimp died today. His legs were moving but he was on his side. I think a snail was trying to eat him but I can't really tell. Unfortunately I can't reach that part of the tank with my net so I'll have to get him out another way... that is... if he died.

I came back from a 3 day weekend and my tank was half empty... seems this stupid built in filter overflowed... i added about 2.5 gallons back in the tank.

I'm having the most rotten luck with my tanks this year. Hopefully little 1 eyed shrimp can adjust. Poor guy :(

11. A

Aquatica88 Member Member

How about One-Eyed Jack? Also, I'm sorry about the loss of your other shrimp.

12. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Patchy?
    Winky?
    Cyclops?
    good luck!

13. Anastasia Vedmedenko

It never gets easier does it :( sorry about your shrimp. But on the bright side, the one-eyed fella is probably doing just fine. Maybe quarantine him in a smaller tank with some place to hide and feed him algae wafers if you want to be extra safe.

14. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Too bad my 10g QT is taken by 3 neons which two might have columaris (spelling) and my emergency hospital 5.5g is taken by a different shrimp with ellobiopsidae. *sigh* I swear I take good care of my fish! Lol. The shrimp and neons came in sick.

I'll just do an extra water change the next couple weeks! On the other hand, I counted about 10 little baby shrimps!

Update: i definitely think he died from a failed moult. Poor baby :( I think he was from the newest batch.

15. kingguppy9000

kingguppy9000 Member Member

It's a pirate shrimp!