Shrimp loss and I don't know why

Vix

I thought I would fill out the form as it'll be the easiest for giving detail.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40L
How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge filter for up to 100L
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 Cherry Shrimp (were there at least), 2 Endlers, 1 Red Onion Snail and 2 tiny mystery snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Fluval Biological Enhancer and Dechlorinator, also liquid CO2 for the plants.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I don't vacuum the substrate because it's a planted tank

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 8.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day, or once every other day.
How much do you feed your fish? 1 granule, shrimp pellet.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Vitalis shrimp pellets.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since Thursday, 5 days.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Since day 1 from one of the shrimp, the other shrimp seemed perfect until he disappeared.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? No apparent symptoms. Just one of the shrimp was pale and then disappeared.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I have a 40L and it's my first tank. Cycled for 6 weeks and slowly started planting it, I have a Red Onion Snail and checked my perimeters repeatedly, my plants are thriving, I've been wanting Cherry Shrimp for as long as I've been interested in tanks but was always nervous to take the plunge, as Cherry Shrimp never lasted in my workplace and we have no idea why. Everything we used is shrimp safe.

Now with my own tank, on Thursday I got 3 Cherry Shrimp, acclimated them to my tank carefully. One appeared quite pale very quickly and there was another one that looked really well, it was eating, two days go by and I typically could only see one shrimp (the same healthy looking shrimp, I think) now today I can't see any of them and I'm pretty sure I can see one has died at the bottom (ball of fuzz). My tank is well planted but normally I could see them without much issue on the first day.

Please help, I really want to keep Cherry Shrimp and I don't understand what's going wrong.

Hamoncan

The ball of fuzz is probably a molt - they do tend to hide for a while after a molt - I hope the others reappear soon, sometimes they hide for a few days, possibly up to a week

Vix

Hamoncan said:
The ball of fuzz is probably a molt - they do tend to hide for a while after a molt - I hope the others reappear soon, sometimes they hide for a few days, possibly up to a week
Thank you. I've seen a molt before, but this literally looks like an entire shrimp body unfortunately. I just don't understand what could be going wrong.

Hamoncan

Vix said:
Thank you. I've seen a molt before, but this literally looks like an entire shrimp body unfortunately. I just don't understand what could be going wrong.
Yeah, sounds weird - I'm only back into fish keeping this year after a long break and I really blundered along at first but my cherries survived (and multiplied) through all of it regardless. They generally seem to do fairly well with only basic care.

Just curious - is your tank covered? - I assume I lost all my Amano shrimp that way - not sure if RCS are similarly inclined or capable of jumping out.

flopperfrog

Vix said:
I thought I would fill out the form as it'll be the easiest for giving detail.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40L
How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge filter for up to 100L
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 Cherry Shrimp (were there at least), 2 Endlers, 1 Red Onion Snail and 2 tiny mystery snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Fluval Biological Enhancer and Dechlorinator, also liquid CO2 for the plants.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I don't vacuum the substrate because it's a planted tank

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 8.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day, or once every other day.
How much do you feed your fish? 1 granule, shrimp pellet.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Vitalis shrimp pellets.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since Thursday, 5 days.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Since day 1 from one of the shrimp, the other shrimp seemed perfect until he disappeared.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? No apparent symptoms. Just one of the shrimp was pale and then disappeared.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I have a 40L and it's my first tank. Cycled for 6 weeks and slowly started planting it, I have a Red Onion Snail and checked my perimeters repeatedly, my plants are thriving, I've been wanting Cherry Shrimp for as long as I've been interested in tanks but was always nervous to take the plunge, as Cherry Shrimp never lasted in my workplace and we have no idea why. Everything we used is shrimp safe.

Now with my own tank, on Thursday I got 3 Cherry Shrimp, acclimated them to my tank carefully. One appeared quite pale very quickly and there was another one that looked really well, it was eating, two days go by and I typically could only see one shrimp (the same healthy looking shrimp, I think) now today I can't see any of them and I'm pretty sure I can see one has died at the bottom (ball of fuzz). My tank is well planted but normally I could see them without much issue on the first day.

Please help, I really want to keep Cherry Shrimp and I don't understand what's going wrong.
if youre sure you saw a body, it mightve been too much calcium. if theres too much calcium in the water, it takes your shrimp a lot of energy to molt and they mightve died trying to molt, or died after the molt. typically i find shrimp like to be all around the tank and since its planted the others (or perhaps all of them if that fuzz isnt a shrimp) just hiding around the tank
a pic of the "fuzz" thing would be helpful

Jojo205

Your tank is 6 weeks old? That could be part of your problem. Cherry shrimp are VERY sensitive to water parameters and need an older, established tank. Some people even say they let their cycled tank run (with fish in it) for up to a year before adding shrimp. They like having lots of biofilm to graze on throughout the day.

I don’t know about the different specific minerals in the water, but have you tested the general hardness (gh) of your water? If it’s too low they will have a hard time molting and will usually die when they try to molt.

other than those 2 things, i’m not much help lol, I’ve only had my shrimp for a month or 2 and those are things i’ve learned while keeping them and also from this site.

Vix

Hamoncan said:
Yeah, sounds weird - I'm only back into fish keeping this year after a long break and I really blundered along at first but my cherries survived (and multiplied) through all of it regardless. They generally seem to do fairly well with only basic care.

Just curious - is your tank covered? - I assume I lost all my Amano shrimp that way - not sure if RCS are similarly inclined or capable of jumping out.
Yeah, that's what's throwing me, I thought that Cherry Shrimp were generally 'easy' compared to some others.

Yes, it's a fully covered tank.
flopperfrog said:
if youre sure you saw a body, it mightve been too much calcium. if theres too much calcium in the water, it takes your shrimp a lot of energy to molt and they mightve died trying to molt, or died after the molt. typically i find shrimp like to be all around the tank and since its planted the others (or perhaps all of them if that fuzz isnt a shrimp) just hiding around the tank
a pic of the "fuzz" thing would be helpful
I actually was worried I didn't have enough calcium in the water! Is there a way to test this?
For some reason the photo looks a lot clearer on my phone than here.

shrimpfuzz.png

Jojo205 said:
Your tank is 6 weeks old? That could be part of your problem. Cherry shrimp are VERY sensitive to water parameters and need an older, established tank. Some people even say they let their cycled tank run (with fish in it) for up to a year before adding shrimp. They like having lots of biofilm to graze on throughout the day.

I don’t know about the different specific minerals in the water, but have you tested the general hardness (gh) of your water? If it’s too low they will have a hard time molting and will usually die when they try to molt.

other than those 2 things, i’m not much help lol, I’ve only had my shrimp for a month or 2 and those are things i’ve learned while keeping them and also from this site.
I haven't tested my gH (I've thought about it), I was going to test kH soon, I'm far more familiar with it.

Thank you so much.

flopperfrog

i dont see the dead shrimp, it honestly looks more like a dead fish to me but those float.
both too much and too little can cause molting issues and lead to death during molting

Jojo205

flopperfrog said:
i dont see the dead shrimp, it honestly looks more like a dead fish to me but those float.
both too much and too little can cause molting issues and lead to death during molting
dead fish don’t float....? At least in my experience they are always on the bottom of the tank when they die.

AggressiveAquatics

What substrate is that?

Vix

It's definitely not a fish, because I have two endlers and they are both the only fish who have been in the tank lol. In the photo it is more fish-shaped, but in real life it's a shrimp-shaped and covered in a clear fuzzy-ish blob.

JettsPapa

Jojo205 said:
dead fish don’t float....? At least in my experience they are always on the bottom of the tank when they die.
That's been my experience also. I think they might float after being dead for a while, but between the snails, shrimp, and corys mine never reach that point.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom