Shrimp King Aqua Soil?

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am getting a 105 litre tank soon and I want it planted with lots of shrimp. I've been told by my friend that shrimp King aqua soil is really good for shrimp and plants. Is that true? If not then what soil do you recommend.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
first off what kind of shrimp do you intend to keep as shrimp king is an active soil and will lower your ph & gh which is not good for certain shrimp

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ph & gh will be buffered to low for cherries, its perfect for crystal reds, as for your fish you'll have to research what water they need, ammanos will live in almost anything

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found this list on the best substrait for planted tanks, google these and instructions and see if they are suitable watch they dont drop the ph to low have a red on these and if your unsure of any come back and we'll have a look, some may need aqua tabs to feed the plants

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe that to be true as well I think it needs to be added in stages, I'm sure theres no need to go down that road though

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep plants and cherry shrimp in regular 1/8 gravel with no problems. Not sure but maybe shrimp waste is very good for plant growth. Everything grows in my shrimp tank. Don’t waste your money on that substrate use it for shrimp or equipment.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There you go from someone doing it, my crowd need active soil
Well that said I have to say that what’s really going to mater is your water. My tap water is very good but if your water needs help or your using ro water you may need something different. I have the eco with fluorite mixed in my 90 gal. Did nothing for plant growth. The soils can cause ammonia to rise in your tank and will still need root tabs after a year or 2. With regular gravel your water quality should not change. If you have existing plants in other tanks move some of them into the new shrimp tank. This will give the shrimp places to hide and stuff to eat.

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looking into tropica aquarium soil. Have gravel in another tank with shrimp and plants that don't grow very well so want to give soil a try. Apparently tropica aquarium soil is very good.

I think the problem in my tank is that the gravel is really large and chunky.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the big gravel is not as good. You need the 1/8” gravel. Which has gotten a lot harder to find. The soil should be good .

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Want a planted community tank and want to use soil. Most the soil I've seen apparently raised the ammonia like fluval stratum. I looked at the tropica aquarium soil and it seems really good (the reviews were brilliant) so I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with it or any better soil.

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
I have never heard about Fluval Stratum raises ammonia I use them before and never experience any problem with ammonia.. I also use garden potting soil and i am not have any issues i am positive you can use fluval stratum and is safe..

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK, just wasn't sure cause most of the reviews I saw said about ammonia and that it's difficult to keep the plants to stay cause its so light.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom