Shrimp Keep Dying, Please Help

Gameynerd23

Hello, I started up a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank about a month ago. I seeded it with a pretty mature sponge filter and it's still in there as their permanent filter. In a week I've lost 2 Cherry Shrimp and about 4 in total. I know this doesn't seem like a lot, but I don't think they've started breeding yet, so I have no shrimplets to take their place. I've seen them sifting through the sand and sitting on the moss balls, so I think they're acting normal. I feed them one shrimp pellet twice a day. There's one Assassin Snail in the tank with them to try to take care of the loads of baby pond snails that I don't want. Here's my water parameters:

PH: 7.4
AMMONIA: Less than 0.25 ppm (it's been almost a week since the last water change)
NITRITE: 0 ppm
NITRATE: 5 ppm

I don't have any other tests that I can do with my API Master Test Kit, so hopefully that will help. Thanks in advance!

JLAquatics

Hi there, how did you acclimate the shrimp when you got them? They are very finicky with changes in water parameters, much more so than fish.
Also, do you know the GH of your water? GH is very important to shrimp, as it contains the elements Calcium and Magnesium for healthy shell growth. If you don't have a GH test kit, I strongly suggest getting one if you plan on keeping any invert. Best of luck to you and your shrimp.
Also, shrimp naturally do better in tanks with natural plants, as it gives them a place to rest after molting and to graze on. Do you have any live plants in your fish tank?

Upvote 0

richiep

Even with seeded media in there and a 5.5g is very early to have shrimp in, feeding 1 pellet every other day is enough, as it stands you tank is not mature and smaller tanks take s little longer to get stable, ph7.4 is good any amount of ammonia is bad for shrimp
Your tanks only been going a month and you lost shrimp a week ago, it really was to early to put them in,
What I would say now they are in there stick with it reduce feeding weekly 15% water changes, don't do anything drastic even if you loose more, things will settle, give it a month and see how things are you can then add more shrimp, the key now is patients and it will work, leave this thread open and post updates, question and help will be on hand

Upvote 0

AvaTheFish

I'm confused, have you cycled the tank beforehand? Or just added seeded media? That amount of amonia is concerning. I'd go grab a bottle of instant cycle bottled bacteria and dose the tank with that asap.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I'm confused, have you cycled the tank beforehand? Or just added seeded media? That amount of amonia is concerning. I'd go grab a bottle of instant cycle bottled bacteria and dose the tank with that asap.
I did add some Fluval Biological Booster right after taking the tests. I only added the seeded media and I got the shrimp early because they're pretty hard to get ahold of in my area, but I know I should have waited.
Even with seeded media in there and a 5.5g is very early to have shrimp in, feeding 1 pellet every other day is enough, as it stands you tank is not mature and smaller tanks take s little longer to get stable, ph7.4 is good any amount of ammonia is bad for shrimp
Your tanks only been going a month and you lost shrimp a week ago, it really was to early to put them in,
What I would say now they are in there stick with it reduce feeding weekly 15% water changes, don't do anything drastic even if you loose more, things will settle, give it a month and see how things are you can then add more shrimp, the key now is patients and it will work, leave this thread open and post updates, question and help will be on hand
Ok, I'll reduce their food and hopefully that will help with the snails as well. I have some bottled bacteria and I'll dose every one or two days to help it along. I fill a 1.25 gallon bucket when I do their water changes, but I can reduce that amount as well if need be. I will definitely post updates on how they're doing. They've been able to shed their shells and all the dead ones I found were pretty squishy looking.
Hi there, how did you acclimate the shrimp when you got them? They are very finicky with changes in water parameters, much more so than fish.
Also, do you know the GH of your water? GH is very important to shrimp, as it contains the elements Calcium and Magnesium for healthy shell growth. If you don't have a GH test kit, I strongly suggest getting one if you plan on keeping any invert. Best of luck to you and your shrimp.
Also, shrimp naturally do better in tanks with natural plants, as it gives them a place to rest after molting and to graze on. Do you have any live plants in your fish tank?
I floated the bag the bag in the water to match the temperatures, but in the future I can drip acclimate them, if that would be better. I don't have any live plants aside from the moss balls right now, but I may be getting some tomorrow or I can move some from my 55g to the shrimp tank. I'll also get a GH test kit either while I'm out tomorrow or online. Is KH important to test for too? Also, are there any live plants that are better for the shrimp than any other?

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Drip acclimate when possible over a few hours for shrimp, it works much better for ones locally bought. Shipped ones can be kind of tricky with the floating bad method, I would look at other threads for tips here, not much experience on my end. If you are just looking for simple plants that don't need much care, Hornwort is really cheap and can cover a large area. Keep in mind it tends to look unsightly, but shrimp LOVE this stuff. KH is important in fish keeping as well, so I would just grab a combo kit with both GH and KH tests. If you are interested in the world of planted fish tanks (highly recommend, not as hard as you may think), there are plenty of great online resources on how to set up an easy planted aquarium. I recommend looking at resources here on Fishlore, and checking out Aquarium Co-Op's youtube channel for great information. I wish you luck, they can be really rewarding if done right.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Drip acclimate when possible over a few hours for shrimp, it works much better for ones locally bought. Shipped ones can be kind of tricky with the floating bad method, I would look at other threads for tips here, not much experience on my end. If you are just looking for simple plants that don't need much care, Hornwort is really cheap and can cover a large area. Keep in mind it tends to look unsightly, but shrimp LOVE this stuff. KH is important in fish keeping as well, so I would just grab a combo kit with both GH and KH tests. If you are interested in the world of planted fish tanks (highly recommend, not as hard as you may think), there are plenty of great online resources on how to set up an easy planted aquarium. I recommend looking at resources here on Fishlore, and checking out Aquarium Co-Op's youtube channel for great information. I wish you luck, they can be really rewarding if done right.
Thanks for the information and resources! The plants in my 55g are just starting out, but I'm really excited to see them grow. I'll check the plants at my LFS, but the ones I've gotten at big box stores look pretty good aside from some torn leaves.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Look, I am a beginner with planted tanks myself and set up my first aquascape myself a few months back, and If I could do this Imagine the possibilities you could create! They are just endless with planted aquariums!
You must be registered to view

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Look, I am a beginner with planted tanks myself and set up my first aquascape myself a few months back, and If I could do this Imagine the possibilities you could create! They are just endless with planted aquariums!
You must be registered to view
That looks really great! Very natural looking! I think I'd like to do a garden look with the plants in sectioned off areas and a path down the middle of the tank.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

That looks really great! Very natural looking! I think I'd like to do a garden look with the plants in sectioned off areas and a path down the middle of the tank.
That sounds like a great tank in the making!

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

You must be registered to see images
QUICK UPDATE: I got a few plants to go along with the moss balls. I got a small, red amazon sword and a plant that the employees at the store couldn't identify, but the shrimp are already climbing on it, so I think they'll like it.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

QUICK UPDATE: I got a few plants to go along with the moss balls. I got a small, red amazon sword and a plant that the employees at the store couldn't identify, but the shrimp are already climbing on it, so I think they'll like it.
Remember, if the plants start dying from malnutrition, I would recommend root tabs (for that sword) and some column ferts. I can see you already have plenty of duckweed. Just make sure they aren't growing in too thick choking the light out with your new plants.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Remember, if the plants start dying from malnutrition, I would recommend root tabs (for that sword) and some column ferts. I can see you already have plenty of duckweed. Just make sure they aren't growing in too thick choking the light out with your new plants.
I already put two Seachem Flourish tabs on either side of the tank and I've got both API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish for the floaters.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Got some Red Ludwigia and some hydrocotyle and took out a few fake plants.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I got two different API kits that test for GH and KH and both of them said about the same thing.
GH: 180 mg/L
KH: 217+ mg/L

I don't really know what this means, so please explain.

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

Got some Red Ludwigia and some hydrocotyle and took out a few fake plants.

Yay! Out those fake silk plants go!

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

I got two different API kits that test for GH and KH and both of them said about the same thing.
GH: 180 mg/L
KH: 217+ mg/L

I don't really know what this means, so please explain.
If you got the API kits, how many drops did it take each to change the color? I can help you interpret this if you tell me this (I have the same kit). Depending on how many drops it took for the reagent to change color is how many degrees each value is.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

If you got the API kits, how many drops did it take each to change the color? I can help you interpret this if you tell me this (I have the same kit).
For the GH, it took 12 and the KH took 16.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Okay, from this, I can tell you have quite hard water. The shrimp are not dying from low GH, so we can rule that out. Your KH is also really high, meaning that the shrimp also did not die from a ph crash either. That means the shrimp most likely died from the change to a new environment and or acclimation. Many shrimp die this way even if you acclimate them the right way. If you don't have any more deaths and constantly monitor your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, I wouldn't worry too much. As for your parameters, plants that like harder water include the Vallisneria and Cryptocorynes. Fish that like harder water are fish such as livebearers. Also, I like your tank. It's getting better and better!

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Okay, from this, I can tell you have quite hard water. The shrimp are not dying from low GH, so we can rule that out. Your KH is also really high, meaning that the shrimp also did not die from a ph crash either. That means the shrimp most likely died from the change to a new environment and or acclimation. Many shrimp die this way even if you acclimate them the right way. If you don't have any more deaths and constantly monitor your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, I wouldn't worry too much. As for your parameters, plants that like harder water include the Vallisneria and Cryptocorynes. Fish that like harder water are fish such as livebearers. Also, I like your tank. It's getting better and better!
Thank you so much h for all of your help! I will keep monitoring my shrimp and I'll add more plants, too. When I eventually get some more shrimp, I'll drip acclimate them to help give them a better chance. Thanks again for all the help, I feel a lot better about the situation because I understand what's going on now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bloblob
Replies
Views
dMog
Replies
Views
DeeDWolfie86
Replies