Shrimp Keep Dying And I Don't Know Why

BlackOsprey

Maybe 3 weeks ago I bought 6 blue velvet shrimp. I'm down to 2 now. I've done water tests throughout that whole time and nitrites and ammonia were always at zero. The temperature's a stable 72 degrees.There weren't any fish in there capable of killing them. I just keep coming home to more dead bodies. The only thing I can think of is maybe the excel I was using, but I was purposefully underdosing and the shrimp were dying before I started using that too.

This is just really frustrating. The first ones made a little sense, maybe they were overwhelmed and stress got to them. But why do the rest of them keep dying for no reason?

MD_Plants

Can you test for Gh and kh? Blue velvet are more sensitive to water then normal rcs and require certain levels

BlackOsprey

Really? Every source I've read said that the different colors of shrimp are just than and they're otherwise pretty much the same kind of shrimp.

And no, I have no way to test for either and the stores nearby don't have tests for it either.

Are you saying that red cherry shrimp would be hardier though?

PonzLL

He's right, those shrimp generally require remineralized RO/DI water to survive for any real length of time.

RCS are more hardy but you still need to check your KH and GH in case they're way off.

bgclarke

Neocaridina shrimp need medium to hard water.

My GH & KH out of the tap is 3, so I add Seachem Equilibrium to the water to make it harder.

BlackOsprey

Oh. Ok. I got no way to do reverse osmosis water so I guess they're all gonna die then. I'm pretty sure the water around here is pretty hard, it leaves calcium deposits like you wouldn't believe.

w3amz

Does excel have copper in it?

PonzLL

Is it just a tiny tank for shrimp, or do you have shrimp in a bigger tank? For my shrimp tank, it's only 10 gallons, so I change 2 gallons every week, but could do every other week with RO/DI topoffs. I don't have a RODI unit, so I just buy water. Costs maybe $1 a week or so.

Bryangar

I thought blue velvets were just different variants of neocaridina davidi? They shouldn’t be harder to care for than regular RCS.

How did you acclimate?

BlackOsprey

excel does not contain any copper and claims to be shrimp safe, assuming you don't overdose. Which I did not. I was never under the impression that shrimp require remineralized RO water since the LFS keeps a permanent display tank of shrimp (they aren't for sale and are just there to look nice) and just uses treated tap water.

BlackOsprey

I thought blue velvets were just different variants of neocaridina davidi? They shouldn’t be harder to care for than regular RCS.

How did you acclimate?
Yeah that's what I thought too. Every single source I used said that they were different only in color. They're the same species.

Drip acclimation.

PonzLL

Yep you're right, I was thinking of the dream blue ones or whatever the other blue one was I guess

BlackOsprey

Oh. Then I still don't have a real explanation fr this then.

Bryangar

Yeah that's what I thought too. Every single source I used said that they were different only in color. They're the same species.

Drip acclimation.
It’s strange that they died. Can you give more info on the tank? tank size? What’s your nitrate at? What do you feed? How many water changes have you done since you got them? How much? A picture of the tank would be helpful.

PonzLL

Well yeah your GH and KH could still be an issue here

Jocelyn Adelman

Blues are the same as reds, yellows, etc... neos overall are neos.

Excel doesn’t contain copper, nor does trace amounts of copper commonly found in ferts kill shrimp (in fact they need a bit to survive)

Shrimp are best shipped/purchased young (barely visible), or berried and about to drop. Often adults don’t acclimate well to new environments. Why, who knows honestly... for whatever reason juvies have a higher survival rate, and any born in tank would be fine.

May I ask where you got them from? There are a number of bacterial diseases flying around right now, one possibility.
Also, What fish are in the tank with them? How long has the tank been running?

BlackOsprey

2016x1512.jpeg.33af638485c44009b2d85ddf77ff3921.jpg

10 gallons

Beamswork 7000K light, on for about 7-8 hours per day

aquaclear 20 HOB

assortment of s. repens, banana plants, java ferns, anubias, anacharis, and rock piles

Eco-complete substrate

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates (tested today)

7.5 on pH scale

Unsure of water hardness but assuming it's pretty hard because Oklahoma's water is full of calcium that ruins household appliances

I do about 25% water changes every week

There's a lot of algae growing on the back and one of the sides of the tank, which I believe shrimp tend to graze. I also fed three guppies 1-2 pellets of omega one food pellets every day. I also once put in a blanched spinach leaf but it went uneaten.

I'm not sure if GH/KH is the issue here, seeing as the store I bought them from keeps a permanent display tank of cherry shrimp that have bred several generations over the years without issue, and they only used treated tap water and none of that RO stuff.

BlackOsprey

Blues are the same as reds, yellows, etc... neos overall are neos.

Excel doesn’t contain copper, nor does trace amounts of copper commonly found in ferts kill shrimp (in fact they need a bit to survive)

Shrimp are best shipped/purchased young (barely visible), or berried and about to drop. Often adults don’t acclimate well to new environments. Why, who knows honestly... for whatever reason juvies have a higher survival rate, and any born in tank would be fine.

May I ask where you got them from? There are a number of bacterial diseases flying around right now, one possibility.
Also, What fish are in the tank with them? How long has the tank been running?
That explains why one of the only survivors is a female that just dropped eggs yesterday. The babies all disappeared, unsure if they were eaten or are dead or hiding.

I got them from a store called Wet Pets by Steve. I don't know who supplies them.

There used to be 4 endlers guppies. They showed no interest in the shrimp. Two of them died (I'm guessing from the **** conditions from Petsmart) and I gave away the other two today.

The tank has been running for about 6 weeks now. There have not been any spikes in anything harmful so either the tank has been cycled or the small amount of animals plus water changes are keeping things in check.

Jocelyn Adelman

If you purchased from a lfs chances are the shrimp came with already weakened systems from being imported, shipped to your store, then reacclimated to your tank.
Both kH and gH are things you will need to know with shrimp, I would recommend getting the apI kH/gH test kit.
If you don’t know your parameters, or didn’t test from the store before acclimation it is also possible this could be an issue.

Too many factors going on here, unfortunately won’t be able to get an exact answer

Many lfs use remineralized “RO stuff” they’re not going to pay a lot of $$$ to get things in and have them die off on them.
That being said, I keep my neos in tap, but many don’t. Neither is correct/incorrect per se, but ro is more.... reliable... based on your remineralizer...

Jocelyn Adelman

Also didn’t mean to imply that pregnant females will live longer then the others, more that you hope the female gives birth in your tank before she dies.
Endlers like eating shrimplets, just make sure the babies have lots of cover.

Overall best not to add shrimp to a tank younger then three mo

BlackOsprey

>__> Okay... no more trying shrimp for me I guess. I'm about to experiment with diy CO2 anyways, probably better if they all just die.

Stoka

My experience with neocaridinas is that as far as hardiness red cherries > RilI > blues or greens or yellows. Not surely why that is but it may be related to the amount of breeding required.

tjander

Be careful with CO2. If not done correctly it will cause wild swings in your PH witch is bad for any aquatic life

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views