Shrimp in community tank ?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Joel2036, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone, just wondering if about a dozen RCS would be ok in my 20g
    It currently has
    7 guppies
    1dwarf gourami (very timid and shy!)
    2 Dalmatian mollies
    2 panda cories

I have 4 live plants a piece of drift wood and lots of spare decorations of caves I'm not currently using I could put in there
    Would they be ok together ?

2. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I have amano shrimp in with my guppies and they do not bother them, I have a friend who has amano in with a fire gourami too. So I know those fish are okay with shrimp, check the water parameters needed for the shrimp and compare them to yours, shrimp are quite sensitive to bad water quality and water temperature, I chose amano as they can stand a higher temperature than most other similar shrimp.

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

As with most fish, they will eat the shrimplets but will not bother the adults. Gourami and mollies might chase them a bit. It is only an experiment (And live food) in the end.

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

there is a chance the gourami will eat the shrimp. gourami and bettas are very alike, my betta ate cherry shrimp. you would have a better chance with a bigger shrimp like the amano already suggested.

i would also suggest getting more corys, they really like big schools. 6 at least.

5. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Actually, I have a female betta and a few mollies in with my ghost shrimp, and the shrimp run the tank...lol..However I do never have any shrimplets.. :)...

I do agree with jojo about the cories. I just recently added to my lone cory who I hadnt been able to add to my school bc of disease. It was heart warming to see his reaction!

6. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

I bet the mollies would love to eat them too.

7. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yeah I originally haste 6 cories but unfortunate I came home and 4 of them were dead for some reason ! :( it was very sad !! I actually recused all 6 of them from a friend who had them in terrible conditions and when I got them about 5 months ago they were in horrible shape that had fin rot and they almost lost all of there markings, but they did recover and get their colour back but I guess the had conditions shortened their lives a fair bit !
    Amano shrimp are extremely hard to find where I am in Sydney, RCS and the other shrimp with the red stripes I forgot their name sorry and they cost $20 each at my LFS so that is way out of my price range, I found a breeder and he will sell me a dozen of them for $20 which isn't bad I think,
    But yeah deffinatly if it does not work out it will just be a very expensive dinner for them :)
    I will deffinatly had more caves and live plants if I do get them :)
    Wish me luck !!!!

8. Y

12 for $20 is pretty good in Sydney. At the only place in Wollongong I found them they are like $7 each so that is pretty silly considering how easily that breed and how hardy they are.

9. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yeah I have been looking for them for a while now at a decent price ! I was just wondering since you were in Australia aswell if you knew any online site I could order plants from ? It is so hard to find any decent ones at my LFS

10. Y

I haven't ordered any personally but I hear good things about livefish.com.au and aquagreen.com.au

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

You can keep RCS in a community tank but don't expect them to breed or see them that much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice