Shrimp In A Bowl? Question

1. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I was reading a threat earlier and someone brought up the idea of shrimp being homed in one of those fish bowls (1 gal I think?) you get from walmart. I was wondering if this is actually an okay living space for shrimp? I believe it would be interesting as it can fit in more locations than a larger tank. Clearly I would add a spongefilter, 1 or 2 small plant, and sand as substrate. Is a heater also needed?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Maybe brine shrimp lol.

I would give shrimp (amano, ghost, rc) at least 2 gallons.

3. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

It's definitely doable. You don't even need a filter if it's planted. Heaters are not needed, and is a waste of space and money.

5. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Yep. I have a 3 gal Beverage Dispenser that has no filters, just dirt with a sand cap. Worked for me since 2010.

PSFix_20180426_023752.jpeg

6. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Shrimp are fine in little bowls.

7. OP
    OP
    spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I'm thinking of using a 3.5 gallon tank. What kind of shrimp do you guys think are most active and appealing to the eye? What plants should I get for the tank? I plan on using this tank to introduce myself to making a planted tank before doing my 29 gallon.

8. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp have an initial ouch factor, but breed easily. Ghost shrimp are cheap, but rarely produce more. So, there's that. They both have merits as far as entertainment value.

Plantwise, start with moss balls. Then some anubias nana on a cholla log. Put some hornwort, or water sprite or other oxygenator of your choice in, and you're off to the races.