Shrimp identification

HolyKamikaziBetta

Ok so I actually purchased these guys as feeder shrimp at 6 for 1$ but noticed they were reds and blues with a white stripe down the back and brown/ black dots along the sides similar to Amano shrimp.
When I brought them home, about day 3 they lost color and became white or an off white.. all still have the white stripe down the back and some still have the spots on the sides. In this photo, the one on top is one I bought a week ago and bottom is one a bought about 4 hours ago. bottom is clearly a female, and when I brought her home this male stalked her and is riding her like a horse...
anywaysss... I’m assuming they aren’t amano... so what are they?
You must be registered to see images

HolyKamikaziBetta

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

I should also add... when I purchased them both times I thought it was weird of the store to put the red shrimp in the tank with red gravel and the blue shrimp with blue gravel. When I brought them home... they turned whiteish... I have white sand substrate.
min pretty sure they change colors. It’s bizarre.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

It looks like an amano shrimp to me, not gonna lie. The smaller one might be a wild type cherry shrimp or just a much smaller amano male.

Upvote 0

Delcos

T
They look like Ghost shrimp to me, and at 6 for $1 I can’t think of any other shrink it would be. I’ve bought hundreds of ghosts as feeders and have seen them with all kinds of colors and markings. I think they can cross breed with amanos and some others but I’m not 100% sure. Sad part is they usually aren’t breed with health in mind and I’ve never been able to keep them alive (when I put them in the non feeder tanks) for more than a couple weeks

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

T
They look like Ghost shrimp to me, and at 6 for $1 I can’t think of any other shrink it would be. I’ve bought hundreds of ghosts as feeders and have seen them with all kinds of colors and markings. I think they can cross breed with amanos and some others but I’m not 100% sure. Sad part is they usually aren’t breed with health in mind and I’ve never been able to keep them alive (when I put them in the non feeder tanks) for more than a couple weeks
They’re 100% not ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp have a very noticeable jump on their backs, and they have long skinny pinchers.

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

It looks like an amano shrimp to me, not gonna lie. The smaller one might be a wild type cherry shrimp or just a much smaller amano male.
I just don’t think they are Amano.
They look a lot like Amano, because of the markings on the sides but idk.
I’ve done some searching and Malayan shrimp is what I’m leaning towards.
I’ve never heard of Amano shrimp changing colors

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

They’re 100% not ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp have a very noticeable jump on their backs, and they have long skinny pinchers.
Hump***

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

Here’s one of my blue ones. I just wish my camera quality was better

Upvote 0

-Mak-

Random neo/malayan/wild type shrimp is a good guess

Upvote 0

HolyKamikaziBetta

Random neo/malayan/wild type shrimp is a good guess
I was thinking Malayan because they change colors.
I was just wondering what other people thought cuz I wanted to get shrimp I could breed to eventually have enough for my 60g community.
mid they were Amano there’s no use because I’m not going through all that work lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies
Views
Sauceboat
Replies
Views
Bry