Shrimp Id?

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just brought a shrimp home. The pet store didn’t know what he was. We thought this shrimp was just a large bamboo shrimp, but now it looks like he doesn’t have fans. He’s about 3 inches and I’m scared he will eat my little fish in the tank if he really doesn’t have fans.
Any idea what he is?
Image1524284138.072811.jpg
Image1524284177.688903.jpg

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Umm a crayfish maybe??

It would def eat small fish

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ziggythecat said:
It would def eat small fish
He opened up his claw things and they looked a bit like fans. Now he’s pushing water into his mouth like how those with fans eat.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a bamboo shrimp alright. Often in fish stores, they will spend long periods of time picking through the sharp gravel, as most stores don't have the necessary food for them to filter out of the water column. They end up hurting their fans. It could also be (and this is more likely) that the fans are just closed currently, they can open and close them as they please.

jay3 said:
He opened up his claw things and they looked a bit like fans. Now he’s pushing water into his mouth like how those with fans eat.
Oh, glad to see that he isn't concerning looking anymore

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
That's a bamboo shrimp alright. Often in fish stores, they will spend long periods of time picking through the sharp gravel, as most stores don't have the necessary food for them to filter out of the water column. They end up hurting their fans. It could also be (and this is more likely) that the fans are just closed currently, they can open and close them as they please.
Thank you so much!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take care for enough food in the watercolumn. When they start feeding om the bottom they're starving.

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Take care for enough food in the watercolumn. When they start feeding om the bottom they're starving.
I’ve been crushing algae wafers and dissolving them in water, but he’s just sitting on a moss ball, no where near the filter where I used to see my other one

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jay3 said:
I’ve been crushing algae wafers and dissolving them in water, but he’s just sitting on a moss ball, no where near the filter where I used to see my other one
Maybe it has to adapt. Don't they need a more protein rich diet ? Can be wrong !

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Maybe it has to adapt. Don't they need a more protein rich diet ? Can be wrong !
He just molted and now he’s up by the filter, and seems to be doing great!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom