Shrimp Id? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by jay3, Apr 20, 2018.

1. jay3Valued MemberMember

I just brought a shrimp home. The pet store didn’t know what he was. We thought this shrimp was just a large bamboo shrimp, but now it looks like he doesn’t have fans. He’s about 3 inches and I’m scared he will eat my little fish in the tank if he really doesn’t have fans.
    Any idea what he is?
    Image1524284138.072811.jpgImage1524284177.688903.jpg

2. ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

Umm a crayfish maybe??

It would def eat small fish

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  3. jay3Valued MemberMember

He opened up his claw things and they looked a bit like fans. Now he’s pushing water into his mouth like how those with fans eat.

4. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

That's a bamboo shrimp alright. Often in fish stores, they will spend long periods of time picking through the sharp gravel, as most stores don't have the necessary food for them to filter out of the water column. They end up hurting their fans. It could also be (and this is more likely) that the fans are just closed currently, they can open and close them as they please.

Oh, glad to see that he isn't concerning looking anymore:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  5. jay3Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much!

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Take care for enough food in the watercolumn. When they start feeding om the bottom they're starving.

7. jay3Valued MemberMember

I’ve been crushing algae wafers and dissolving them in water, but he’s just sitting on a moss ball, no where near the filter where I used to see my other one

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Maybe it has to adapt. Don't they need a more protein rich diet ? Can be wrong !

9. jay3Valued MemberMember

He just molted and now he’s up by the filter, and seems to be doing great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice