Help Shrimp Id? (ghost Shrimp Or Whisker)

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,
I purchased 6 Ghost shrimp from Petco the other day and have been reading that often Whisker shrimp are mixed in with Ghost shrimp and are sold as the same thing. So I am hoping someone can identify these for me as they are currently in my 10 gallon shrimp/plant tank with 4 (pricier) beautiful Bloody Mary Neocaridina davidi which I would be very sad if I lost to an "accident" shrimp. They have been together 3 days so far and I have only lost one ghost shrimp on the first night (I assume from acclimation stress? I drip acclimated but did it pretty quickly compared to normal)
Even if you are only 90% sure about the species, since now I am super worried. These pictures aren't great so if you need more let me know ( I only took pics of the 3 largest "ghost" shrimp)
upload_2019-7-29_14-24-56.png

upload_2019-7-29_14-25-33.png
upload_2019-7-29_14-26-46.png

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look like Ghosts to me. The Whisker shrimp have much longer front arms with bigger pincers on them. Their arms are often as long as their body. Another way to tell is that true Ghosts will have 2 red or orange spots on their tails and red rings on the antennae and front legs. Sometimes the color won't show if they are stressed though. It can take a few days for the color to be seen and even then you have to look really closely.

It's also not unusual for some of the Ghosts to die quickly. They are sold to be mainly live food for larger fish and sometimes are low grade animals.

Last edited:

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have seen red on the antennae of two of them so far, so I will just keep a watch on their pincers until further notice. Phew, now I feel better. I was worried I was going to wake up to one of my bloody marys being eaten by a 40 cent monster.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 30 66.7%

Top Bottom