Shrimp help ...

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

So I have a 38 gal tank and currently have it stocked with 4 swordtails, 1 platy, 5-6 guppies (one currently in a separate tank), and 5 glo tetras. I have ordered some shrimp online that will be here soon hopefully. I think they are red cherry, yellow something and amano.

My question: is there anything I need to be sure of before acclimating and introducing them after they get here? I'm researching but what are the best living parameters for the shrimp? Do I need to feed them anything special other than just the variety of fish food I have? (Omega color flakes, color pellets and veggie pellets, freeze dried blood worms, red algae, and live mosquito larvae and blood worms ... all for a varied diet)

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Keep and eye on the glofish I've seen them eat shrimp.

3. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Slow acclimation is the key. Since they aren't going into a shrimp only tank, make sure you have lots of hiding spaces.

I would also feed your fish before you release the Shrimps. Your fish might think they are food.

4. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Would they eat the adults or just the shrimplets? My largest one is about an inch or 1.25". The rest are quite a bit smaller.

Ok! Good call. They love attacking mosquito larvae and blood worms.

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

They will eat adult shrimp.

6. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Awe man! will the shrimp eat guppy fry?

7. Pikachu13131 Member Member

No they won't bother fish it's the other way around.

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Ok then I will at least put some in my fry tank.

Another question ... if I provide enough grass and hiding places will the shrimp be able To avoid being eaten by the glo tetras?